The Database administrator will be responsible for the optimizing performance, integrity and security of a database through planning and development of the database and troubleshooting (including backup and data recovery) on behalf of the users in line with compliance and risk perspectives
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Entry level
- Experience Length: 2 years
Position Location: Entebbe
Hours per week: 45
Eleglance Finance is a privately owned microfinance institution dedicated to delivering benefits of financial services tailored to individuals, groups and SMEs that find it challenging to access services from mainstream banks. Our investment goes beyond providing capital but creating innovative solutions tailored towards the financial needs of a growing private equity. We opened doors in May 2012 and have since then expanded to several branches including Entebbe, Soroti, Lira, Kabalagala, Kamwokya, Kyaliwajala, Abayita ababiri and Mbale, with our headquarters in Entebbe.
The Database administrator will be responsible for the optimizing performance, integrity and security of a database through planning and development of the database and troubleshooting (including backup and data recovery) on behalf of the users in line with compliance and risk perspectives. He/she will also oversee and maintain a technical environment and all IT related issues in liaison with the MD including hardware, software and related infrastructure, systems and servers
Key Responsibility Areas
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plan, design, develop/customize and install enterprise databases in order to make them fit for purpose.
• Maintain database integrity by ensuring database parameters, objects and access are standardized and managed.
• Maintain database security by ensuring security plans and measures are laid out and followed.
• Monitor database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters.
• Maintain business continuity preparedness for enterprise databases by implementing disaster recovery procedures.
• Implementing backup and recovery plans and procedures based on industry best practices, managing the security and disaster recovery aspects of a database through planning for backup & recovery of database information, Maintaining archived data as well as restoration of such databases.
• Perform system database integrations to introduce new innovative business channels by ensuring an end to end integration with third party systems.
• Planning, sizing installation and configuration of enterprise database management systems on new server installations during primary disaster Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary and capacity planning.
• Develop and implement comprehensive maintenance procedures for software and hardware equipment in EFL’s network and ensure adherence to hardware maintenance schedules.
• Design, implement and maintain a robust and efficient LAN/WAN and ensure that devices and network points are properly labeled and identified EFL email & internet.
• Implement a robust security system and protective measures against internal breaches and external threats and attacks on all network and software systems in EFL.
• Maintain all computer equipment and accessories to ensure a 99% system uptime.
• Maintain the EFL website and other social media sites and ensure regular updates on all sites.
• Troubleshooting software systems problems with users and performing regular backups of the software information systems.
• Design, format, and generate reports for management and external stakeholders and any adhoc reports as may be required.
• Establishes the needs of users (specifications) so as to refine the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model (designing and or redesigning parameters).
• Conduct and manage trainings for team, staff and users on all new software systems developed, new users and refreshers to existing users with the aim of optimizing system performance, integrity and security of the database.
• Facilitate procurement and all IT related equipment by providing specifications and liaising with third party suppliers and venders to ensure that all IT related equipment is of accepted standards.
• Maintaining a register all critical and sensitive storage backup media showing the times, dates, and users who have requested such media from the storage area.
Maintain servers, routers, switches, and w/stations stand above PCS & MISC supporting devices &OS software.
• Maintaining an inventory of all IT-related equipment showing the physical location, the user, a clear description the speed& capacity of the equipment.
• Database administration; Installation, configuration, maintenance, and upgrading of servers, software, and related products.
• Perform database backups, database fragmentation analysis, performance analysis, and database patching. - Configure Core banking database and applications
Maintain and update Standard Operating Procedures Documents for database management systems.
Education & Certifications:
• The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS or an equivalent.
• Certification in Oracle, MSQL, & MySQL Database Administration i.e. Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) is an added advantage
• Two years of working experience in Microfinance /Commercial Banking computer systems / ICT and should be aged between 25– 35 years.
• Operation with a clear understanding of business processes & constraints.
• Knowledge in Linux and Windows operating Systems Administration.
• General Attributes: Analytical capabilities and attention to detail, Ingenuity and creativity, Logical approach to problem-solving, the ability to work well under pressure, Tenacity, and patience,
• Communication skills – including the ability to convey information to non-technical colleagues in a concise and clear way.
• Experience in Database management and user support with Strong SQL scripting skills
• Understanding of Database Replication and implementations, Backups, and restorations/recovery.
• Certifications in Microsoft certified database administrator (MSCDBA) or Oracle database, Microsoft SQL would be an added advantage.
• Excellent written and communication skills and high attention to detail
• Should be able to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and under pressure.
How to apply:
All suitably qualifying candidates should send their application and Updated CV together with copies of certified academic and professional certificates, current salary, salary expectations, names of 3 referees, and daytime telephone contact (saved as one PDF document) through the Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Here ' section Before 30th November 2023.
Please note that the recruitment is ongoing as applications come in.
EFL is an equal opportunity employer with no consideration Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please note that canvassing and lobbying will lead to automatic disqualiﬁcation of the candidate. Female Candidates are encouraged to apply
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.