The Petroleum Authority of Uganda (PAU) is a statutory body established under Section 9 of the Petroleum (Exploration, Development and Production) Act 2013, and in line with the National Oil and Gas Policy for Uganda which was approved in 2008. The mandate of the Petroleum Authority of Uganda is to monitor and regulate the exploration, development and production, together with the refining, gas conversion, transportation and storage of petroleum in Uganda. This includes ensuring that petroleum operations in Uganda are carried out in accordance with the relevant laws, regulations, guidelines, statutes and in line with international best practice for the petroleum industry.
The Petroleum Authority of Uganda now invites applications from qualified Ugandans who fully meet the required job specifications and with the right personal attributes to occupy the following positions in the Authority’s established structure.
PAU/ICTD/084/600: Data Management Officer (Geographical Information Systems)
The Data Management Officer/GIS will report to the Senior Data Management Officer/GIS. He /She will work as part of the team providing GIS services to support the Authority’s data management mandate.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
• Digitize, edit, analyze and publish maps to the GIS Server or Desktop.
• Routinely update the GIS system (geodatabases and maps) with data from the reference databases.
• Provide advice on matters regarding GIS
• Assist in the proper storage and archival of GIS data
• Assist in the implementation and configuration of new GIS-based systems including the development of GIS applications to meet user needs
• Assist in analyzing land and aerial imagery and using databases to create specialized maps
• Provide assistance with designation of official well bore names for new wells to be drilled
• Assist in managing the GIS Unit including maintenance of equipment and software and liaise with suppliers regarding supply of consumables such as printing paper and plotter cartridges.
• Assist the front-end developers to create and maintain a robust framework to support web-enabled database applications
• Complement database applications development by participating in compiling requirements, schedules, and activities
• Provide expert assistance and support to GIS users by developing documentation and other assistance tools
• Keep up to date on the latest industry trends in GIS and related web technologies
• Provide a specialist design service for exhibitions, brochures and information displays for both internal and public presentations.
• Comply with all quality procedures and standards and identify where quality of service can be improved and advise on the suggested improvements.
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills And Experience
An honor’s bachelor’s degree in GIS, physical sciences, Engineering, Surveying from an internationally recognized institution.
• At least three (3) years of relevant professional experience, working with a GIS system in a busy organization.
• A Master’s Degree in GIS, Information Systems, Information Science, or related discipline from an internationally recognized institution.
• ESRI technical certifications or certifications with other related GIS programs as well as membership to a professional body in the relevant field
• Possession of a high level of understanding of GIS software and functions with advanced knowledge of coordinate systems and conversion requirements; an understanding of geodatabase schemas and editing procedures, and georeferencing protocols
• Proven track record of delivering useful GIS services and products.
Competencies and Character
• Must be able to manage and process spatial data in the ESRI ArcGIS environment
• Knowledge of integration of GIS with other Exploration and Production software such as Petrel, PetroMod, Geosoft among others
• Knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise configuration and maintenance.
• Working knowledge of GIS software development and programming.
• Remote sensing and imagery analysis skills.
• Must be self-motivated and interested in working in a busy and dynamic environment where quality, attention to detail, customer service, are essential values.
• Proven high level of integrity.
• Ability to work independently and in a team.
• Must have strong organizational skills and be very flexible.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent analytical skills.
• Proven track record of outstanding performance.
• Proficiency in relevant industry computer packages and software.
How to apply.
PAU will ONLY consider online applications submitted through her website. Interested persons who fully meet the required job specifications and with the right personal attributes for the above positions are invited to visit the PAU website: www.pau.go.ug and follow the link to “Opportunities-Careers-Vacancies” to view details and apply for the available opportunities.
ONLY online applications will be considered. Applications submitted by e-mail will not be accepted.
Applicants are required to scan and attach CERTIFIED copies of the required academic documents only e.g. Degree, Transcript, Diploma, A-level and O-level certificates and PLE results slip.
Academic documents for the successful candidates will be vetted and background checks conducted before they are considered for appointment into the Authority.
Only short-listed and successful candidates will be contacted, and any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
All appointments shall be subject to a probationary period of not more than six months and subsequent confirmation in service will be based on satisfactory performance of the individual.
Please forward any enquiries regarding this advert to email@example.com or call telephone number +256 313231500.