Start Date: Open
Numida is a rapidly growing digital microfinance institution (MFI) in East Africa focused on serving micro-and small businesses (MSBs). Thanks to our proprietary technology and credit processes, we provide growth and working capital to verified MSBs, resulting in high portfolio yields and a high impact on our borrowers’ livelihoods.
Through the Numida mobile app, small business owners can apply for convenient and unsecured short-term business loans by digitally submitting evidence of business ownership and business activity. A proprietary due diligence process, combining machine validation and human review, allows a first lending decision to be made in less than 72 hours. The principal is disbursed digitally via mobile money. Our borrowers then begin reporting their daily financials (sales, expenses, stock purchases) while paying off their loan and tracking their next loan limit. Most subsequent loans are disbursed automatically.
Traditionally overlooked and underserved MSBs in emerging markets deserve to have great tech built to serve their needs. Numida will become the first and largest mobile platform in Africa focused on offering convenient, accessible and appropriate financial services specifically to African MSBs. With the wealth of data collected through our platform, we are well-positioned to connect business owners to the financial and non-financial services they need in order to grow their business, whether it be credit, savings, insurance, payments, logistics, customer acquisition, or financial & HR management. Due to our deep knowledge of our customers, Numida is becoming renowned for building technology that MSBs love. Within 10 years, we anticipate enabling at least 1 million small business owners on the continent to achieve their dreams.
We are looking for a self-driven, results-oriented credit relationship officer to work with our Credit team. The role is a mix between the role of a credit officer and that of a customer care representative. S/he will conduct due diligence on potential borrowers, analyze creditworthiness and ability to repay, and effectively manage her/his portfolio
while ensuring compliance with Numida’s methodology and policies. This role is reserved for someone who has prior experience as a credit officer, who has experience in speaking and engaging with clients over the phone, and who will be capable of providing technical support to small business owners and users of the Numida app in person, on the phone, or via online chat.
● Engaging with loan applicants via phone to conduct due diligence interviews on all new loan applications and repeat loan applications requiring manual review
● Performing financial analyses on loan applicants and interacting with loan applicants as necessary to better understand and validate their business activities and financial situation
● Making adequately supported recommendations to the Credit Committee for every loan application
● Collecting loan repayments as they fall due, and following Numida’s escalation process for delinquent borrowers
● Executing referral calls in order to generate new business
● Collaborating with the Product team and participating in various experiments that aim to improve the quality of Numida’s service and/or the efficiency of the CRO role
● Address inbound service inquiries (via phone and WhatsApp) and assist all Numida clients until full resolution of the issues, escalating to the correct department when necessary
● Conduct periodic field visits for monitoring and escalation of collections
● Ensure that the level of service provided to our customers is maintained to the standards set forth by the company
● Resolve complaints in an effective, timely manner whilst maintaining the highest standards of professionalism
● Recording complete, quality, and honest information into our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system to enable Numida to address customer issues effectively
● Be responsible for maintaining up to date knowledge of Numida’s product offering to ensure any information offered to clients is accurate and helpful
WHO YOU ARE
● A believer that small business growth in Uganda will drive community development and wide-scale poverty reduction
● A highly productive, results-oriented, self-driven individual committed to excellence
● A balanced planner and doer who can manage a heavy workload effectively
● A fast learner who is entrepreneurial in spirit and can balance both growth and risk management priorities
● A team player with the humility to ask for help when needed and to accept feedback to rapidly iterate on your work
● Our team is currently 38% women, and we are committed to achieving gender parity, so applications from women are strongly encouraged
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
● 1+ years of experience in a credit officer or related role
● Bachelor’s degree in Microfinance, Business Administration, Commerce, or related field from an accredited university
● Proficient in computer and mobile technology – you are experienced with Android apps and desktop productivity software like Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.
● Verbal and written fluency in both English and Luganda. Fluency in other Ugandan languages is an asset.
● Ability to provide customer care via chat using professional, concise, and slang-free English
● Knowledge about and practical experience with the principles of great customer care, and superb phone etiquette
● Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
● Excellent interpersonal skills and high levels of empathy – you are patient enough to truly listen to and understand the needs and wants of Numida’s users, and can address their complaints with compassion
● Type 30+ words per minute (desired)
YOUR COMPENSATION AND REWARD
This is a full-time, high-growth role in an early-stage East African technology start-up. We are an unconventional business, and our workplace is inspiring with a lot of opportunities for personal growth and fun. You will receive a competitive salary and have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and diverse team based in Kampala, San Francisco, and Vancouver.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section