Role: Country Director, Uganda
Location: Kampala with 25% travel to project sites
Reports to: VP – Field Operations
Nationality: Ugandan Nationals Only
OneWorld Health is an international organization that provides quality, affordable healthcare to people in need. We achieve our mission through the development of facility-based medical programs in East Africa using social enterprise models of development. Through this model we are able to maximize sustainability and scalability while reaching underserved populations on the Continent.
The Country Director is a country level position reporting to the VP of Field Operations, leading OneWorld Health staff and programs in Uganda.. This position will plan and implement all programs for Uganda in line with the 2030 strategic vision, leading and building the capacity of staff, while ensuring the overall success of OneWorld Health’s social enterprise model of healthcare in Uganda.
Duties and Responsibilities
KEY RESULT 1: STRENGTHEN AND DEVELOP ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE & IDENTITY
- Ensure OWH’s faith-inspired mission, vision and values are placed at the core of all strategy, operations and partnerships, as well as being clearly demonstrated in workplace culture and service to the public.
- Lead in a way that tangibly demonstrates OneWorld Health’s core values: service, humility, integrity, empowerment, love, and dignity.
- Ensure that every level of the organization maintains a welcoming and inclusive work environment for all staff, irrespective of gender, race, tribe, economic status, or religion.
KEY RESULT 2: ENSURE PROGRAMS AND STRATEGIC WORK PLANS BUILD OFF OF THE ORGANIZATIONAL STRATEGIC VISION
- Work closely with OWH’s VP – Field Operations to develop strategic vision and operational implementation plans for OWH’s projects in Uganda.
- Manage and strengthen existing metric-based reporting & evaluation procedures.
- Identify gaps, design, and test innovative solutions, and evaluate progress to further OWH’s mission.
- Work with the Hub Administrator and Facility Managers to analyze, improve, and implement effective business processes across project sites.
- In coordination with OWH’s Medical Director, improve and maintain quality measures in all facilities.
- Work with the Hub Administrator to select and oversee architecture/construction contractors for on-time & on-budget project completion.
- Conduct annual strategic planning with local directors/administrators/managers.
- Ensure each responsible staff member develops and works toward completion of strategic work plans following strategic planning.
- Participate in monthly and quarterly HQ and international meetings, acting as a liaison between US and Uganda staff while helping to align systems and processes globally.
KEY RESULT 3: COORDINATE EFFICIENT AND ACCURATE FINANCIAL OVERSIGHT
- Work closely with the Finance Director in the budgeting process: develop, review, finalize, and oversee budgets that represent and align with organizational objectives and programmatic activities.
- Ensure that transparent financial processes and procedures are adhered to and that segregation of duties is done as much as possible to limit liability.
- Work closely with the Finance Director to respond to informational requests from the VP – Field Operations and HQ Finance team with accurate and timely financial information.
- Ensure reporting protocols are followed to provide weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports that monitor budget vs. actual activities.
- Review annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly cash flow reports and forecasts with the Finance Director.
- Provide technical and financial inputs to support grant proposals.
KEY RESULT 4: GROW EXISTING PROJECTS & BUILD OUT NEW STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS
- Identify and assess potential project locations and surrounding areas.
- Work alongside the VP – Field Operations to develop long-term goals and strategies for growth.
- Create and manage relationships, partnerships and collaborations with other NGOs, government agencies, and local partners.
- Participate in the INGO Country Director’s network and its Health sub-working group, leveraging value provided by the network to remain informed on national policy developments, emergency situations, and coordination and learning opportunities
- Work with the VP of Field Operations and Uganda senior leadership to identify and pursue in-country funding opportunities through national, bilateral, and multilateral mechanisms that would enhance OWH in-country objectives.
- In coordination with Volunteer Coordinator and Medical Director, develop plans towards effective volunteer involvement in Uganda.
KEY RESULT 5: TRAIN, COACH, AND MANAGE KEY STAFF, WHILE OVERSEEING BROADER HR PROCESSES, ENSURING FAIR AND EQUITABLE TREATMENT OF ALL EMPLOYEES
- Supervise, train, and appraise country-level staff, including, but not limited to, Regional Administrator, Medical Director, and Finance Director
- Provide support and maintain a competent and motivated team through constructive feedback, coaching and mentoring.
- In coordination with the HR Committee, develop and implement HR search processes to hire excellent candidates for leadership and support.
- Oversee HR program toward effective staff leadership, clinic management and medical/service quality.
- Develop staff talent towards greater effectiveness in achieving OWH’s mission, vision, and values.
- Ensure that all HR processes are fair, equitable, and transparent.
KEY RESULT 6: ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
- Ensure OneWorld Health maintains all legal requirements as an international NGO in Uganda.
- Working with the Regional Administrator and Medical Director, ensure compliance with relevant regulations related to health facility and volunteer program operations and quality controls.
KEY RESULT 7: ENSURE CLEAR AND CONSISTENT COMMUNICATION WITH U.S. STAFF AS WELL AS AMONG UGANDAN STAFF AND FACILITIES
- Work closely with the Director of Global Communications and Marketing to collect and create accurate and compelling content for publication by the OWH U.S. office.
- Ensure that traditional and social media publicity/communication is consistent with overall OWH branding, mission, vision, and values.
- 4 Year Bachelor’s degree in Development, Business, Project Management, or related field
- Master’s Degree in relevant field preferred
- Proven project management experience in East Africa
- Availability to travel 4-5 days per month within Uganda
- Excellent computer skills. As a minimum, this would include an advanced understanding of Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent management skills
- Patient and encouraging; able to build and develop the capacity of others
- A posture of integrity that values the mission and vision of OneWorld Health
- Proven ability and drive to take initiative and problem solve
- Ability to work cross-culturally and display cultural sensitivity
- Demonstrated success managing budgets
- Ability to manage and evaluate administrative systems and empower staff to work within those systems
- A positive attitude and professional appearance and manner
- Strong organizational skills and an eye for detail
- Capacity to manage multiple projects and prioritize well
- Demonstrated capability to effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Willingness to adapt as changes arise
HOW TO APPLY
For Applications, please submit your CV (curriculum vitae) and a cover letter through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section.
The position is open until filled, and shortlisted applicants will be contacted for further interviews and assessments. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only be responding to shortlisted candidates.