Within Uganda , Imvepi , East Africa
The Community Health Officer will be responsible for the direct implementation of community health services aimed at improving the overall well-being of the refugee population in Rhino/Imvepi settlement.
Duties and Responsibilities
• In order to ensure wider reach out to the refugees and other persons of concern and ensure their close involvement in the delivery and management of health services, the incumbent will establish an appropriate consultative and monitoring framework which would draw the experience and expertise of a wide range of actors both internally and externally appropriate to community health.
• The incumbent of the position oversees and supervises the community Health programmes in the operations under Area of Responsibility (AoR) and provide strong technical guidance to partners, monitor and evaluate the programmes and ensure and lead monthly community health coordination meetings. The incumbent has close contacts with internal and external stakeholders.
• Coordinating the existing VHTs and Health workers support the health facilities to conduct integrated outreaches, health promotion campaigns, disease surveillance and sensitization activities to mitigate potential disease outbreaks, using messages approved by the Ministry of Health (MoH).
• In collaboration with the Reproductive Health Officer, support the provision basic quality reproductive health services to the communities within the settlement including pregnancy mapping, condom distribution and ensuring effective referrals of pregnant mothers for ANC, PNC, other maternal and new born services.
• Assist in the development of appropriate program monitoring tools and continuously assesses the health related needs of the community, identify gaps and adapt program activities to respond to these gaps while providing oversight to community networks (youth clubs, drama groups VHTs, and youth friendly corners).
• Identify and roll out communication strategies for the community health program including the printing, monitoring availability and distribution of IEC materials as well as job Aids for community activities.
• Participate in the development of community program work plans and reviewing them on a monthly basis with the medical officer.
• Facilitate and support collection of the necessary community program data that informs programming in the relevant tools, while supporting the health facilities/VHT with necessary reporting requirements and mentor-ships.
• Coordinate referral strategies from community to the health facilities especially through the VHT system.
• Identify and coordinate gap and needs for the community health teams in the respective location and coordinating community network of care to the suitability of the organization.
• Represent IRC’s Program to the district health team, health sub-district and donor agencies, to ensure all program activities are carried out.
• Representing the organization n other forums which need and call for community engagement and coordination with other IPs and Ops.
• In collaboration with the DHT, participate in the support supervision visits to support Health facilities within the settlement.
• Maintain regular contact with all partners, including the DHT, Ministry of Health, and stakeholders on all matters pertaining to the program to avoid duplication of services.
• The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Community Health Officer job placement must hold a bachelor/diploma in nursing, diploma in clinical medicine/nursing, Environmental health with an additional training in public health or its equivalent from a recognized Institution.
• Must have at least 3 years’ experience in such work
• Must be registered with a professional body.
• Working with district, health facility staff and community-based groups such as VHTs
• Previous work with an NGO in similar programs.
• Good report writing skills.
• Ability to enhance good interpersonal relationship.
• Good communication skills.
• A good command of both written and spoken English.
• Good knowledge and application of Microsoft word, Excel and Power Point.
• Proven interpersonal skills.
• Computer literate in MS, internet, power point, etc…
• Managerial skills
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.