Present in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps Uganda’s aim is to catalyze change through the Ugandan private sector, civil society, and government to create resilient, economically inclusive, healthy, and secure communities. Apolou (“Growth” in Nga’karimojong) Activity is a 6-year USAID funded RFSA operating in the five districts of Moroto, Kotido, Kaabong, Karenga and Amudat.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:7 years
Apolou has four objectives grounded in social behaviour change and supports gender-transformative and resilience outcomes:
• Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security
• Adolescent girls, pregnant and lactating women and children under five are nutritionally secure
• Reduced incidences of WASH related diseases
• Improved livelihoods and income support household food security
The Communications Specialist will work primarily on the Apolou Activity but will also have the opportunity to support other Mercy Corps Uganda programmes, when required.
This is a new position for the programme that looks to boost the profile of Apolou’s work internally to the agency and with external stakeholders. The Communications Specialist will craft a communications strategy and plan in support of key messages telling Apolou Activity’s story in a creative and innovative way to a wide and diverse audience. They will guide team members and partners on storytelling, photo taking, and documenting learning. The Communications Specialist will play a critical role in the Activity’s final year ensuring clear, consistent and strategic messaging allows for a smooth exit from communities and with key stakeholders.
STRATEGY AND PLANNING
• Lead on the development and implementation of a creative communications strategy and plan for the Apolou Activity during its final year of implementation.
• Craft key messages and identify critical components of Apolou’s story for sharing with a wide and diverse audience, including staff, partners, government, and donors.
• Represent Apolou Activity and Mercy Corps Uganda in strategic fora.
• Ensure adherence to USAID branding and communication guidelines.
• Work with the Apolou SMT and Mercy Corps Uganda SLT to develop internal communications messages and materials to support smooth programme close out.
• Build the capacity of staff and partner team members to identify and exploit storytelling opportunities.
• Sensitize staff and partner team members on Apolou’s story and communications strategy.
• Design a series of learning events to effectively communicate Apolou’s story to diverse stakeholders.
• Liaise with the media before, during and after events.
• Working with senior management, quickly identify potential risks during programme close out and provide advice on communications strategies to address these.
Reports Directly To: TBD
Works Directly With: Apolou senior management, MC Uganda senior leadership, Programme Managers, Programme Staff, consortium partners, Regional Communications team
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
• 7 years experience in Communications and/or Media Engagement for INGOs.
• Masters in Communications, Media, Marketing, Public Relations or equivalent.
• Advanced computer skills and administrative experience (Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, design applications)
• Strong facilitation skills to deliver training to diverse groups
• Excellent writing and editing skills in English
• Strong ability to efficiently prioritize competing demands with attention to detail
• Creative and influential leadership skills
• Ability to speak local languages of areas of operation an advantage
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.