The CFO role will require a well-developed leader with a strong demonstrated experience in areas of finance, audit, business planning, budgeting and reporting, human resources, procurement, risk management, and administration.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
Position Description – Chief Financial Officer
Our client is an Uganda-based vanilla company based in Jinja and with offices in Kampala. The company is experiencing rapid growth and is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to manage its finance and administration functions. The position will be ideally based in Jinja, but there’s flexibility to be based in Kampala but with at least 3 days spent in Jinja every week.
General Position Description:
Reporting to the Managing Director, the CFO will be responsible for overseeing all financial, fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities of the business, in conjunction with the management, board of directors, and other relevant bodies.
The CFO role will require a well-developed leader with a strong demonstrated experience in areas of finance, audit, business planning, budgeting and reporting, human resources, procurement, risk management, and administration. S/he should possess strategic, financial and management skills together with high level policy analysis, development and implementation experience, gained from working in the private sector and in an agriculture-based related industry (preferably vanilla). S/he will be an energetic individual that is able to work in a dynamic team environment while maintaining a strategic, yet commercial outlook and managing for results.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Support and guide the finance team and other staff on all financial aspects of the business.
- Exercise overall control of all financial transactions, inventory and accountancy matters and coordinate external audit.
- Manage company policies regarding capital requirements, working capital, debt (company borrowings and debtors), and taxation as appropriate.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting. Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions, including negotiating the best translation rates of foreign currency.
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met regarding all the company’s financial affairs
- Develop the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual; update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices.
- Monitor (or manage) the credit control for the business.
- Responsible for company procurement, clearing, and management of physical stocks.
- Ensure that payroll is produced with integrity and that records are kept in accordance with all regulatory requirements.
- Work with the Managing Director, the Board, and other functional managers on the strategic vision of the business, develop the strategic business plans, and advise on all financial matters.
- Assess business performance against both the annual budget and long-term strategy. Develop tools and systems to provide financial and operational information and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally. Ensure that this is in alignment with the business plans and advise management and the board of any significant changes.
Monitoring & Evaluation and Reporting
- Prepare, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; collate financial reporting materials for the business and clearly communicate the monthly and annual financial position.
- Report on the performance of the company against agreed Key Performance Indicators
- Prepare annual accounts, manage the relationship with external auditors and liaise with holding company regarding related reporting requirements.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with management; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep the Boards abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Implement a robust contract and financial management reporting system and manage the working capital position of the company.
- Maintain compliance with the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) on all tax-related matters, and ensure the returns filed for the business are complete and accurate.
HR and Administration
- Coordinate with the Managing Director to maintain the necessary professional development and training to ensure the development of technical skills while educating employees on staff policies and procedures.
- Work closely with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient operations.
- Coordinate bulk procurement of inputs and services and clearing as needed.
- Lead salary reviews and wage negotiations.
- Act as the custodian of the Company’s grievance-handling processes.
- Perform all other related tasks and duties as assigned by the Managing Director or Board.
The CFO must have at least 10 years of overall professional experience; ideally 5+ years of broad financial and commercial management experience (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) in a senior position with some commercial experience in an agriculture-related environment. S/he will have a University Degree with a CPA qualification and will possess knowledge and experience of all relevant International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) with an MBA being desirable.
The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting, and audit coordination for either a division or a significant profit center. An understanding of Ugandan tax, human resources, and other-related policies would be advantageous.
Additional qualifications include:
- Experience working in East Africa and exposure and working knowledge of Agri-based industries is preferable;
- Strong knowledge of current accounting and financial reporting developments;
- Membership of a recognized accountancy body is essential;
- Ability to lead, work independently, and oversee a portfolio of activities at the executive level with professionalism and integrity to ensure tasks are completed and the needs of the business are met;
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model, with the ability to make actionable recommendations to senior leadership;
- Ability to think strategically, be open-minded and innovative, but with a strong commercial and practical focus;
- A very high level of integrity and honesty and a sense of responsibility.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a small team and willingness to undertake frequent travel in-country;
- Experience working at the board level and building finance functions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively, at all levels, in both written and verbal English; and
- Flexibility to relocate to Jinja, particularly in the early period is preferred but not required.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their updated CVs and application letters through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.