REPORTS TO Managing Director
SUPERVISES Economists & MEL Team
LOCATION Head Office
SCALE UDBL 02
The jobholder is responsible for providing leadership and visibility of the bank for socio-economic development issues by appropriately positioning the Bank as a thought leader and centre of excellence for all socio-economic development matters and research
The Chief Economist is accountable for the coordination and/or generation of knowledge, research and analytical works to inform operational and public policy. He will be responsible for policy
dialogues with various policy organs on behalf of the Bank.
The incumbent shall establish and implement a robust research and development outcomes strategy that delivers adequate information resources to re-examine, reinvent, modify or validate the bank’s business models in support of the achievement of UDB’s High Impact Goals (HIGs).
PRINCIPLE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establish UDBL as a thought leader of various development policy topics in the country.
• Strengthen impact monitoring and evaluation and ensure that the Bank undertakes projects with demonstratable economic outcomes.
• Establish UDBL as a reference point for development data and resources in the country and establish a databank of related data
in the Bank.
• Develop and implement a coherent research strategy that delivers appropriate information resources that ensure adequate alignment of the bank’s interventions with the UDB’s overarching
purpose and HIGs
• Undertake and/or supervise economic, thematic, and sector reviews, thereby identify the challenges and the investment opportunities in line with the Bank’s purpose and HIGs
• Provide technical leadership for interventions that aim to inform development planning, investment, and governance in the bank and in the country – including the production of research papers,
position papers, policy briefs, sectorial studies, and other knowledge products.
• Participate in relevant country-level policy dialogue on macroeconomic, structural, and institutional reform issues emanating from the Government programs (e.g. the Poverty Reduction Programs among others)
• Lead and/or play an active role in coordinating sector-wide approach fora; and participate in key country processes and initiatives, including budget reviews, sector reviews and working
groups, seminars/workshops, among others
• Identify major opportunities for strategic collaboration with research agencies, multilateral & bilateral agencies, etc. to
support the bank’s activities in policy advice and research
• Interact competently with diverse stakeholders – including the staff of government and funding agencies on issues relating to development interventions and sector-wide approaches.
• Originate, organize and/or participate in the production of knowledge and dissemination of information related to development finance by organizing or facilitating stakeholder
dialogue and discourse to review inhouse research outputs and to consider/determine appropriate interventions to remediate policy
and development issues in the country.
• Provide support in monitoring of the implementation of UDB’s medium-term strategy and operational interventions, covering both lending and non-lending activities
• Provide analyses and updates on economic indices to support ongoing decision-making in the bank
• Assist where required, in undertaking appropriate product and program reviews and the development of the Bank’s policies, procedures and guidelines, and ensure their application.
• Where applicable, lead the drafting of Terms of Reference (ToRs), the selection of consultants and the supervision of the technical aspects of their work.
• Any other duties as may be agreed and assigned with the Line Manager.
• Consistently review the competence of all team members in the function, address any performance shortfalls, and/or recommend/implement, in conjunction with HR, appropriate
performance enhancement interventions.
• Provide continuous coaching and lead the implementation of each team member’s individual development plan.
• Annually review and update individual job accountabilities and performance targets for all Direct Reports; ensure alignment of function’s business plan to UDB’s strategic and business plans
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
• Sign documents on behalf of UDB within delegated authority
• Authorise spend within the function; thresholds shall be determined from time to time
• Participate in the hire and discipline of direct reports
• Recommend (to Board) any relevant policy changes
• Membership to various Management Committees to which he/she maybe assigned by the Board or Management
• Advise Management on issues relating to the function
• Advice Board and Management on any related strategic issues
• Internally: Board, HODs, All Staff
• Externally: Key external stakeholders including Government officials, Funders, Industry Associations, policymakers, and media
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION & COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
• A research-based Ph.D. in Economics or development studies from a reputable academic institution and a minimum of 5 publications in a related field(s)
• Master’s degree with a bias in economics, statistics, development studies, or a related field
• Related professional and leadership development certification is an added advantage
• A minimum of seven (07) years of relevant professional work
experience in research, economic and sector policy formulation,
macroeconomic analysis and other related fields.
• Previous hands-on experience in microeconomic, structural reform and public sector reform projects are desirable.
• Strong conceptual, research, and analytical skills, with the ability to think strategically, rapidly analyze and integrate diverse
information from varied sources into logical deductions and recommendations
• In-depth knowledge of topical social, economic and
development issues in the country, and related trends at the global, continental, and the regional level
• Strong affinity for numbers and/or numerical proficiency
• Mastery of contemporary research methods and trends, and familiarity with various related tools
• Excellent written and oral communications skills (in English)
• Sound Commercial awareness and business acumen
• Ability to manage/work with multidisciplinary teams
• Ability to exercise independent judgment
• Superior Planning and Organizing skills
• Proficient in the use of standard software including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Director Strategy & Corporate Affairs,
Uganda Development Bank Ltd on firstname.lastname@example.org
By 21st August at 5:00pm