The Business Development Manager will have the primary responsibilities of identifying new funding opportunities, developing concept notes and proposals to raise funds from potential donors, and maintaining good relationships with donors.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:6 years
Our Client is an international not-for-profit, determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
Since we started in 1981, we’ve remained resolutely focused on tackling these three essentials that transform people’s lives
Without all three, people can’t live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, and whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
We’re committed to changing normal forever—are you?
Our client is fully committed to protecting those with whom it comes into contact. the organization is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. the organization reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
Grade: Grade F
Contract type: Three-year fixed-term contract (subject to renewal)
Reports to: Country Director
Internal: Country Director, Senior Management Team (SMT), Directors/ Heads of other units, Project Coordinators, and Officers and any other staff and consultants that may be hired in WAU
External: WAU Partners, East Africa Regional team, UK office, Donors, Government Officials – Local and National, Line Ministries, Civil Society Organisations, and other I/NNGO’s
Travel: International and in-country travel(s) involved.
Clean water, decent toilets and hygiene are three essentials that help people lead dignified and healthy lives. They should be normal for everyone, but for millions of people, they are not. We are determined to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene a normal part of everyday life for everyone, everywhere within a generation.
our client's vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, the organization works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence.
Our client works by supporting local organizations and governments to plan and implement inclusive and sustainable services of water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). WAU also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key WASH stakeholders to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Occupying the position of Business Development Manager is an exciting opportunity to work with the organization and contribute to the achievement of the national and global goals towards realizing WASH access for everyone everywhere.
Purpose of Role
The Business Development Manager will have the primary responsibilities of identifying new funding opportunities, developing concept notes and proposals to raise funds from potential donors and maintaining good relationships with donors. S/He will work closely with the Program, Policy and Advocacy, PMER Grant and Finance teams whenever required. The position holder will be accountable to the Country Director with a close working relationship with the WASH Director of Technical Service as well as Senior Management Team members.
- Lead, develop and implement a fundraising strategy for increasing resource mobilisation from potential donors and assess supplier markets.
- Work closely with WAU’s Senior Management Team in the development and implementation of the Country Programmes (CPs) Funding Strategy
- Lead, motivate and support the program, finance and support staff in fundraising
- Develop and implement the annual fundraising plan of the organization
- Lead the approach to ensuring that the CP has integrated rights, gender, equity and inclusion into its work as well as being a diverse and inclusive place to work.
- Ensure WAU is well positioned within the donor and supplier markets as a ‘go-to’ agency for long-term WASH programming
- Grow a pipeline of funding opportunities for the country's programme
- In collaboration with SMT/CD, hold, manage and track in-country Business Development relationships and influence key donors (Institutional donors, corporate, Trust and foundations, INGO, etc.) and Commercial Suppliers and research partners/competitors as well as cultivate and facilitate global donor HQ relationships when necessary;
- Provide country staff/programmes with up-to-date intelligence on prioritised donors, their key funding partners, funding opportunities and donor terms and conditions.
- Enable effective qualification of donor funding opportunities by the organization staff/programmes (e.g. Bid/No Bid process) to improve conversion/success rates
- Enable effective formation of a strong consortium around specific funding opportunities prior to bid development
- Conducting research on fundraising opportunities.
- Writing funding proposals & concept notes and submitting these to potential donors.
- Ensure effective coordination of proposal development and bid preparations, using staff and consultants as necessary to deliver bids
- Ensure effective contract negotiation for strategic, high-value opportunities as well as maintain standard negotiating positions for donor contract terms and conditions
Networking & Partnerships
- Implementing a variety of marketing strategies and promotional campaigns. • Organizing and attending non-profit events and networking with relevant stakeholders.
- Establishing good relationships with staff, members of the public, donors, partners and the media.
- Coming up with ingenious ways to raise awareness.
- Facilitate and provide capacity-building training for relevant staff in fundraising, funding planning process and Restricted Income Systems
- Preparing presentations, videos, photos and reading materials to promote WAU’s work in collaboration with knowledge management, PMER specialist and relevant departments/sections/staff
- Support SMT with quality assurance processes, tools and capacity building for specific donors
- Documentation of past, current and future fundraising efforts, challenges and opportunities for reference and use
- Provide regular updates on fundraising, contribute to the preparation of reports and provide feedback to management about what is and is not working.
Safeguarding & Safety & Security:
- Create and maintain an environment which upholds the company's Global Code of Conduct and associated safeguarding and child protection policies.
- Create and maintain an environment which consistently upholds the organization's Health, Safety & Security Policy.
- Ensure that Safeguarding, Child Protection, and Gender Equality policies are fully embedded in project design and implementation as well as relationships with all actors Ensure that comprehensive health, safety and security
- measures (e.g. risk management plans, local security protocols) have been put in place when designing programmes/projects and are consistently upheld during their implementation.
- Ensure that partners that the organization works with are adopting the same health, safety and security standards (as defined in any applicable company health, safety and security policies), and arrange for capacity-building support where gaps or weaknesses are identified.
- Understand and put into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding, Child Protection and Gender policies and Code of Conduct (CoC)
- Adhere to any local security protocols that have been put in place when working in the office, travelling to the field or undertaking project/programme activities
- Immediately report any health, safety and security incidents or near-misses that occur on duty to their line manager, Security Focal Point or CD
- Behave and act in a manner that does not put colleagues or anyone that interacts with the company in immediate danger or harm’s way.
Required Education and Qualification
- A master’s degree in Project/Programme Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Business Management/Administration, International Development, Public Health or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience in raising funds from donors such as the EU, DFID, USAID, SIDA, NORAD, DANIDA etc and managing the funds
Required Skills and Competencies
- The person must possess the following behaviour and skills:
- Proven ability to identify new business opportunities and create successful partnerships
- In-depth knowledge of the fundraising industry and its current events
- Broad knowledge of a range of bilateral and multilateral institutional donors and CSR of corporate bodies.
- Experience in consortia partnerships management
- Creative talents and the ability to solve tough problems
- Excellent networking, engagement and negotiating skills and proven ability to initiate and maintain strategic partnerships
- Excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills in the English language
- Diplomatic and multi-cultural skills.
- Strong communication and IT fluency
- Ability to handle pressure and meet deadlines
- Skill in prioritizing and triaging obligations
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively coordinate with the organization Federation and global country programmes
- Excellent time management and organisation
- Strong skills in proposal and report writing from experience working with international donors
- Ability to initiate and co-ordinate fundraising efforts and work effectively with a wide variety of partners and disciplines
- Commitment to the organization's values and a working style that reflects these.
Our client is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. the organization reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority, and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
Our client is an equal opportunity, disability-confident employer, and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.
How To Apply:
All candidates should send their updated CVs and application letters through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.