The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through supporting the recruitment and analysis of new businesses brought on board, negotiating, and closing business relationships, creating high-quality business pipelines that will enable Balloon Capital to achieve scalable revenue.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
About Balloon Capital
Since 2011, Balloon has worked with over 1,500 entrepreneurs in emerging markets. We know growth is hard and most businesses inevitably start small and stay small. But every now and then we meet some truly exceptional entrepreneurs. Despite the challenging commercial environment, these people are still doing incredible things, running businesses and creating employment.
At Balloon, we know that these entrepreneurs have the potential to do so much more. Our aim is to unlock their potential, so they don’t just employ 5 people, but 500. Balloon Capital will find the most exceptional informal sector entrepreneurs and offer funding plus technical support to help these businesses grow at least 5 times in 3 years. Through this, we will support a new generation of indigenous entrepreneurs building the SMEs of tomorrow and changing lives through enterprise, not aid. This is an exceptional opportunity to build an investment fund from the ground up.
The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through supporting the recruitment and analysis of new businesses brought on board, negotiating, and closing business relationships, and creating high-quality business pipelines that will enable Balloon Capital to achieve scalable revenue. A secondary purpose is to initiate and maintain strategic partnerships. The role holder will primarily be based in Mbale – Uganda, with a lot of travel across the Eastern Region of Uganda.
Ideal candidate profile
Balloon Capital is a mission-driven, for-profit, development finance organization that is run on strong commercial principles. We recruit people that believe in the power of capital and market development to bring about positive change and lasting social impact in local communities. We therefore seek to employ people who are passionate about our sector and what we do, are strong on ethics, and are committed to the success and sustainability of our clients and of Balloon Capital.
Balloon Capital works with local entrepreneurs who are looking to professionalize and grow their businesses at least 5 times in 3 years. We support them with specific practical and relevant business advice. This requires us to be accessible, down-to-earth, pragmatic, hands-on, professional, respectful and honest. Learning is part of the Balloon Capital culture. Each employee, at every level, is conscious of the need to continuously raise her/his knowledge and skills. The willingness to learn and share knowledge is therefore a non-negotiable condition of employment.
The holder of this position reports to the Investment Director. Within the organization, the BDM will have working relationships with the in-country investment team. Externally, the BDM will mostly work with the pre-investment entrepreneurs.
Key performance areas
1. Deal Origination – A quality pipeline of small businesses with massive potential
- Identify and record new businesses that can potentially be engaged by Balloon Capital
- Carry out industry analysis to identify trends that are in tandem with our objectives and potential future challenges
- Engage entrepreneurs to assess their openness to partnership
- Carry out market research to compare our offer and that of competition and advise on how to improve ours
- Number of businesses entered into CRM
- Number of businesses screened
- The number of businesses analyzed
2. Transaction Development – Great deals signed that are attractive to investees and profitable for Balloon
- Analyze the business to understand its current operations
- Examine the historical financials of the business to understand its current financial health
- Identify the challenges currently being faced by the entrepreneurs and propose ways of mitigating them
- Assess the levels of risk of investment in the businesses and suggest ways of mitigating them
- Number of businesses that share accurate financial records (receive requests for new processes / implement new processes)
- The number presented to the Investment Committee
- Number offered investment / (Number offered requests for further information)
- The number that agrees to the terms
- The number that receives investment
- Average time from investment committee sign off to release of funds (from screening to investment)
3. Investment plan and post-investment action plan
- Draft 3-year projections for the business
- Identify entry points into a partnership for Balloon Capital and identify the opportunities for investment with the entrepreneur
- Clearly define the additional support to be offered to the businesses (post-investment)
- Develop follow-on investment plans for all the businesses under consideration
- Suggest ways of protecting Balloon’s investments
- An investment report detailing the investment plan, projections, post-investment action points and follow-on investments after the initial investment
4. Knowledge Management – Insights collected, stored, shared and leveraged systematically and with precision
- Capture all experiences, contacts and addresses in the “play book”
- Create linkages between entrepreneurs, especially those in the same industries
- Share knowledge (challenges and successes) captured with the Balloon team
- Number of success stories replicated elsewhere with other entrepreneurs
- Number of networking workshops arranged for staff to share experiences
Required experience, qualifications, and skills
- 5+ years of a demonstrated track record in Business Analysis for Investment.
- A Business degree is required. An MBA or Msc. Financial Analysis is preferred. CPA and ACCA are an added advantage
- Excellent business analysis skills
- Ability to design financial models and business management plans
- Excellent communication, presentation, sales, and marketing skills
- Excellent written and spoken language fluency in English and any of the following languages (Luganda, Lusoga or Lugisu)
How to apply.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.