Duty Station: Uganda
Monthly Stipend: 750,000/= UGX
Mercy Corps implements high quality, analytical development work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Karamoja, Acholi, West Nile and Central sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, DFID, EU, USDA and private foundations.
About USAID Project:
The $41 million USAID Food for Peace Activity (Apolou) and the $5 million USAID Resilience Challenge Fund (RCF) Activity support agriculturalists, agro-pastoralists, and pastoralist households living across the districts of Amudat, Kotido, Kaabong, Karenga, and Moroto in Karamoja.Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, NARWOA and Riam Riam), TUNADO, FIDA Uganda, Strong Minds and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC).
Job Summary: The Agribusiness graduate trainee will be at the forefront to learn as s/he take the lead in the implementation of proposed strategies under the Apolou program to support farmer groups and the livestock groups to become viable and profitable enterprises. Similarly, the incumbent with be responsible to enhance the capacity of the existing community level entrepreneurs and local level private sector partners so that they can work with the local government to provide the services sustainably. Through enhancing the capacity of active FEGs and LEGs based on the Producer Organization Viability Evaluation (POVE) results on five dimensions that is; i) Managerial organization, ii) Access to inputs and extension, iii) Post-harvesting and preservation, iv) Access to markets, and v) Access to finance.
Learning Objectives: By the end of the program, the trainee should have gained the following;
- Enhanced his/her skills in farmers’ enterprise groups’ capacity building.
- Enhance his/her skills in contextualized business plan development.
- Interfaced with real farmer enterprise groups’ challenges and working to them to find solutions.
- Skills in enterprise groups’ inputs and extensions’ access strategies.
- Stakeholders’ coordination and management.
- Skills in building market linkages for smallholder farmer enterprises.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Graduate Trainee’s Roles Responsibilities:
- Sensitize and help farmers in the strengthening management organization capacity of Farmer Enterprise Groups and Livestock Enterprise Groups, which are able to support farmers market their produce and have access to other embedded services.
- Train Enterprise committees and farmers in aspects of Agribusiness e. farming as a business (FaaB), Enterprise selection, Collective Bulking and marketing, Quality control, marketing, post-harvest handling/preservation, inputs access, and financial access among others
- Help farmers to market their produce and linking them to potential buyers.
- Guide and support enterprise groups in business plan development and operationalization.
- Working with the Technical staff guide and link enterprise groups to start or strengthen their savings schemes and on bank accounts opening and linkages with financial institutions (MSC and Centenary bank)
- Working closely with the Technical staff guide and link enterprise groups to input dealers.
- Support the AVAs and LCs to establish and strengthen their extension and embedded services deliverable to become profitable.
- Networking with other development partners and local government departments to enhance different capacities of the target enterprise groups.
- Encourage farmer groups, to bulk their produce together to increase on their bargaining power for better prices.
- To prepare and submit reports regularly as required by the project.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
- Prepare and implement activities as per their weekly work plan, which will be derived from position roles and responsibilities.
- Prepare and submit weekly progress reports of the activities implemented.
- Prepare and submit monthly timesheet detailing days worked.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have completed/ graduated with bachelor’s degrees in Agribusiness management, Agriculture, Agriculture Economics, Business administration, Economics, or related fields.
- Should not have spent more than 5 years outside school following attainment of the qualification.
- Knowledge of computer skills is a necessity.
- Should be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Nga’Karimojong and Pokot languages is an added advantage.
- Motorcycle riding is a necessity.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online by clicking the 'Apply Here' section.