Reports To: Administrator
Position Location: Kampala, Uganda
Kampala Music School (KMS), the center of excellence in classical music in Uganda, was opened in 2001, emerging from the ‘Pianos for Uganda’ scheme which brought many donated pianos, as well as other instruments, into various institutions in Uganda such as churches and schools. All students are also given the opportunity to take the international examinations of The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) the UK, and all aspects of the UNEB O and A level syllabuses are covered. The music teaching program caters to motivated students of all ages and backgrounds, from beginners to professional levels, and KMS aims to give maximum opportunity to develop talent at affordable rates. It encourages and facilitates music teachers and performers across Uganda, provides space and instruments for playing, and organizes solo and ensemble concerts and operas of students and visiting artists.
Under the supervision of the Administrator, the Administrative Assistant will attend to clients, visitors, students and teachers at the front desk allocate teaching and practice rooms, allocate students to Teachers, and receive funds for lessons, practice, room and equipment hire on behalf of KMS.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Administrative assistant’s duties will be as follows but not limited to;
1. Receive and attend to visitors, students, and other clients or suppliers of KMS, with warmth and enthusiasm, acting as the first point of contact for KMS, ensuring that their visit is smooth, productive, and a pleasant experience.
2. Timely receiving of telephone calls and direct them to the respective staff.
3. Be the main liaison between Teachers and Students
4. Ensure that the teaching and practice rooms are in a good condition, clean, and bear all the necessary equipment before being occupied for the purposes of teaching or practicing. Ensure that regular checks are made for the above-mentioned purposes.
5. Develop a lesson and Room usage timetable, and schedule lessons based on Teachers` availability, and allocate teaching rooms accordingly for purposes of Lessons, practice, rehearsals and meetings. 6. Manage the communication, scheduling, and troubleshooting for online lessons with our clients both local and abroad.
7. Update room usage tracking sheet and know room occupancy at all times.
8. Receive money from clients (for lessons, practice, photocopying, hiring of equipment, etc), issue receipts, and post them in the Tasreg Excel Cashbook as a first step in producing reports on income at any given time. 9. Maintain petty cash for the office and prepare the necessary documentation for replenishment in good time as per criteria presented through KMS Finance Manual or as stipulated by the Executive Director. 10. Assisting in the management of ABRSM exams to ensure that all administration and documentation required is accurate and submitted in a timely manner for the respective examinations, Receiving ABRSM application forms and examination fees where applicable, post them onto the ABRSM payment database. 11. Ensure efficient use of utilities (electricity and water), office supplies, and telephones. 12. Handle inquiries in tandem with the Marketing Executive with any other duties that may be assigned by the administrator from time to time.
13. Outreach program, acting to act as the main point of contact between KMS and Outreach schools up to and including communication with the parents in cases where this is deemed necessary and overseeing the administrative part of the program.
Education and Aptitude:
A Diploma or degree in any field
Job-related experience and knowledge:
• 3 years’ work experience in the area of front desk management.
• Computer literate with good knowledge of Excel and Word.
• Good written and spoken English.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to effectively handle inquiries.
• Ability to work under minimum supervision.
• A team player and someone with a general interest in music.
Applications for the above position should include a cover letter describing your suitability for the job and an updated curriculum vitae with names and contacts of 3 professional referees through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section by 5:00 pm 30th May 2021.
ONLY shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews.