Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
ABOUT THE BLESS A CHILD FOUNDATION
The Bless a Child Foundation is a non-governmental organization that provides care support services to children from the ages of 0–15 years suffering from cancer and related infections. Established in March 2007, The Bless a Child Foundation was founded as a result of a realized need that pediatric cancer patients in Uganda had inadequate access to medical care and support.
Our mission is to provide child-friendly care and support services to children with long-term illnesses in order for them to access and complete treatment.
At The Bless a Child Foundation, you will be welcomed into a family of “ELITE” members who believe in:
- Excellence: in all the services we offer.
- Love: by treating all our guests with respect and dignity.
- Integrity: We value transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Time: that early detection and treatment save a life.
- Empowerment: we uphold the need to equip beneficiary families with information and skills needed to cope with cancer and its effects.
The Bless a Child Foundation is currently seeking a full-time energetic Accountant who possesses a strong background in accounting. Reporting directly to the Program Manager, this exempt position is responsible for providing financial support for a non-profit organization based in Kampala with regional offices in Gulu and Mbarara. Duties include but are not limited to general ledger maintenance, payroll management, bank reconciliations, financial report preparations, budget preparation, and monitoring organizational-wide internal controls. Strong organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills are required. A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail is needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management of the financial transaction of Blesses a Child Foundation on a day-to-day basis, while ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of financial reporting and analysis.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports for the Executive Director, Management Team, Board of Trustees and Donors.
- Actively reviewing, analyzing, and managing the key controls within the organization to ensure compliance with legal and accounting requirements.
- Provide financial analysis and budgetary controls.
- Consolidating the monthly activity, budget, and reporting tracking cycle.
- Providing support and guidance in decision-making driving the implementation of projects.
- Preparation of timely and reliable monthly financial management reports.
- Preparation of organizational annual budget and cash flow forecasts and cash flow management.
- Reviewing of regional offices' weekly financial reports on expenditure and variance.
- Overseeing annual audit process.
- Preparation and filing of year-end audited accounts and annual returns with Registrar of Companies and Uganda Revenue Authority- URA.
- Management of communication with partners, service providers, and donor on finance-related issues
- Procurement of goods and services in compliance with the Procurement Manual.
- Preparing, planning, and chairing monthly and annual organization budget review and accounts sign-off meetings.
- Maintaining an updated fixed asset register for the Bless a Child Foundation.
- Filing timely and accurate statutory returns for the employees - NSSF, PAYE, and Local Service Tax- LST.
I. Required Skills and Experience:
- Diploma/Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Accounting/Finance Management or related discipline is required.
- Knowledge of Accounting principles and practices is a must.
- Knowledge of finance principles and finance reporting is a must.
- 2 years previous Accountant experience is a must.
- Quick Books Accounting System knowledge is a must.
- Computer literacy: Advanced Presentation and Excel Skills, proficient user of other MS applications.
- Keen attention to details is a must.
- Commitment to working efficiently and accurately is required even while under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication is a must.
- Good interpersonal skills are required.
- Methodical working style and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work around schedules and the ability to prioritize as required by the Foundation.
- Willingness to learn and to grow with the Foundation.
II. Success Factors:
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Communication skills: ability to listen, speak and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Problem-solving skills: is able to identify the underlying cause to recurrent and spontaneous challenges, suggest various alternatives, and narrow down on the most effective solution to meet the needs of the Foundation.
- Time and task prioritization: the ability to perform effectively under stressful conditions when confronted with multiple requests and demonstrate the ability to manage time.
- Relationship builder has the ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks both internally and externally.
- Continuously learning: seeks opportunities to develop self and applies new knowledge and skills to meet the children’s needs.
Job Specific/Technical Competencies include:
- Knowledge of financial principles and Accounting skills: one who has an understanding of basic Accounting, Accounting terminology, and Finance principles and standards. This knowledge base helps one to perform a range of financial functions while communicating with other accounting professionals.
- Quick Books knowledge is one who is proficient in the Quick Books Technology and is able to use it to do their day-to-day accounting activities, create reports, and input accurate ledgers.
- Mathematical skills: one who can carry out various financial tasks that require quick and exact calculations.
- Focus and mental strength: one who has the ability to work productively when completing lengthy and complex tasks.
- Confidentiality: one who can deal responsibly with the sensitive company, employees, and client financial information and can be trusted to be discreet.
How to apply
If you believe that you embody these experiences and values, and your mission is aligned to ours, we are excited to meet with you and welcome you aboard with like-minded individuals. You will have an amazing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children affected by cancer across Uganda while being able to share your expertise, grow your career, network with global stakeholders and work with a diverse, focused, and engaged team.
To express your interest to join our team, drop your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and referees through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on 'Apply Now ' section