National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) on behalf of tbe Government of Uganda is executing a 4-year Global Environment Facility/United Nations Environment Programme supported Project on " Institutional Capacity Strengthening for Implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing in Uganda". The development goal of the project is to conserve Uganda's genetic resources and associated traditional knowledge and access and share the benefits arising out of their utilization in an equitable and sustainable way while the project objective is to strengthen institutional capacity for effective implementation of the Nagoya Protocol and conduct effective awareness campaigns on Access to Genetic Resources and Benefit Sharing (ABS) in Uganda.
The project will have two site offices; one in Karamoja in north eastern Uganda targeting indigenous peoples and Local communities in the Karamoja region while the other will be in South Western Uganda targeting the Batwa community leaving around Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and Mgahinga Gorilla National Parks. The Karamoja field be hosted by Karamoja Women Cultural Group (KWCG) while the United Organization for Batwa Development in Uganda (UOBDU) will host the field office for South Western Uganda.
To ensure effective and efficient delivery of project outputs and outcomes, NEMA is seeking to recruit competent staff stated below for the Project Management Unit (PMU).
NEMA invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
Job Ref : NEMA/ADV/EXT/16/2021
Title : Driver (Under Government of Uganda)
Reports to : Transport and Logistics Officer
Salary Scale : E7
Vacancies : Two (2)
Purpose of the job:
To ensure timely and safe transportation of staff, documents and any other item(s) as may be provided.
Key duties and responsibilities
Work under the supervision of the Transport and Logistics Officer to:
• provide chauffeur services to staff and as assigned;
• Deliver mail and documents as assigned;
• Keep the assigned vehicle clean, polished, and in good operating condition;
• Ensure routine checkup of the vehicle;
• Maintain the vehicle logbooks and make timely entries;
• account for the vehicle and all accessories (Jerk, spare tire, wheel spanner, keys, etc.)
• park the vehicle at the designated place by the close of business;
• ensure adherence to the NEMA Motor vehicle, computers, tools, and equipment policy; and
• perform any other related duty assigned by the supervisor.
• A minimum of Uganda Certificate of Education. Any other additional relevant qualifications are an added advantage.
• Should have at least a minimum of 3 (three) years' work experience, 2 of which must be in a similar position in a reputable organization or government.
• At least two classes of either CH, DH, OM or E is essential.
• Skills in mechanics and defensive driving are essential;
Tenure of appointment: The appointment shall be for an initial period of two (2) years with effect from the date of assumption of duties and may be renewed subject to evaluation of performance of duties or any other considerations
Duty station: The successful candidate may in the interest of NEMA be required to
serve in any part of Uganda.
Competencies and skills
• Have good communication skills
• Knowledge of road safety rules
• Ability and experience in driving on bad roads
• Honesty and transparency
• Ability to drive long distances
• Fluency in English (written and spoken)
• Good communication, writing, and reporting skills
• Versatile and good at teamwork
• Basic elementary knowledge of motor vehicles mechanics including being able to undertake minor repairs
How to apply.
Potential candidates should submit applications in their own handwriting and deliver them by hand, through post office or by email enclosing copies of CERTIFIED certificates/transcripts and detailed curriculum vitae indicating 3 referees addressed to:
The Executive Director
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) NEMA House, Plot J 71/9121 Jinja Road
To reach the above address by 5.00 pm on 10th December 2021.