Closing date: 21 Jan 2019
For the detailed job description, refer to the Description of Assignment: http://bit.ly/2CVytdQ
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.Assignment Details
UNMISS was established in 2011 under the auspices of the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO); subsequently, UNMISS mandate has been renewed through resolutions 2057 (2012), 2109 (2013), 2155 (2014), 2187 (2014), 2223 (2015), 2241 (Dec. 2015), 2304 (2016) and 2327 (2016), 2392 (Dec. 2017), 2406 (Mar. 2018).
Under the direct supervision of and liaising frequently with the Project Manager and/or in close coordination with the Field Engineer of the Engineering Section; the UNV Water and Sanitation Technician is required to function within the framework of water and sanitation works in the mission for South Sudan, and will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Installing, operating and maintaining, servicing and repairing water supply systems, water treatment plants, water storage facilities, sewerage network, sewerage treatment plants, pumps, control panels of all plants/pumps and other allied equipment of new construction projects within a sector of the Mission area;
- Managing the daily tasks of plumbers and other staff working in the unit;
- Performing surveys and preparing technical reports, drawings, and material quantities;
- Ensuring that the installation of new systems and the maintenance of existing systems meet the safety and environmental standards in accordance with international codes and regulations;
- Providing lists of spare parts for water supply and sewerage works control panels as well as necessary tools and equipment, well in advance;
- Estimating material requirements and tools or equipment needed to perform the job;
- Detecting possible defects in plumbing and mechanical systems;
- Carrying out scheduled periodic and emergency maintenance services on all installations and equipment;
- Reporting on the proper delivery of related services to the Supervisor, Water, and Sanitation Unit;
- Receiving and acting on Engineering Work Order Requests (EWRs),
- Designing simple water and sanitation installations and providing the necessary diagrams for laying water supply and sewerage pipe lines installations and maintenance work;
- Conducting regular physical, chemical and bacteriological water quality tests to comply with WHO Guidelines;
- Building capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training of national staff and counterparts;
- Performing any other related water and sanitation duties as needed or assigned.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day)- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country- Provide annual and end of assignment reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities using UNV’s Volunteer Reporting ApplicationContribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN VolunteersPromote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.Results/Expected Outputs
- Responsibilities carried out successfully, safely and within the specified time and allocated resources;
- Submission of daily, weekly, monthly and annual reports within the allotted time as requested by the Field Engineer/Head of the Water and Sanitation Unit and/or Chief Engineer;
- Proper design and implementation of various projects assigned to the UNV Water and Sanitation Technician to the highest standard and minimum cost to the Mission;
- Quality of water supplied to clients meets the WHO standards at all times;
The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-) governmental counterparts, including Implementing Partners (IPs); • Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment • A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developedQualifications/Requirements
Required Degree Level: Technical/Vocational diploma
Education - Additional Comments: Technical / Vocational diploma in water supply and sewage systems and maintenance.
Required experience: 36 months
Experience Remark: At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience as water and sanitation technician in the construction industry; Experience in the use of plumbing mechanical equipment and tools; experience in tracing and repairing system faults; ability to read blueprints and sketches.
Language Skills English (Mandatory) , Level - Fluent
Area of Expertise: Water, sanitation and environmental engineering Mandatory
Area of Expertise Requirement:
- Computer skills: Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office application (excel, word, powerpoint) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Other skills: Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System; Sound security awareness.
Need Driving Licence: Yes
Competencies & Values
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Planning and Organizing
HOW TO APPLY:
Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.