Lagos, Nigeria, Nairobi, Kenya
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Role
In this role, you will primarily work as a Senior Software Engineer within the Technology department building world-class internal products to support Andela’s business needs.
As the Senior Software Engineer, you will take on complex tasks and complete them despite roadblocks, grabbing others for help or insight as necessary. You will require very little oversight beyond high-level direction; you can take a complex user story, break it down into sub-tasks, and complete their sub-tasks with relative ease. You will show initiative beyond knocking tasks off a list; you are able to identify and suggest areas of future work for yourself or your team. You will drive product velocity and deliver products with confidence. You will take pride in building products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
You’re the kind of person who:
- Believes that building great software is more than just delivering working code, that other aspects such as reusability, testability, maintainability, security, and performance are just as important.
- Is constantly learning and expanding your skill sets on and off the job.
- Can mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class.
- Work closely with Product Managers and Stakeholders to understand the business needs
- Deliver complex software solutions that meet those needs
- Share responsibility for strategically scaling Andela’s internal systems
- Promote and nurture good team practices such as TDD, code reviews, and pair programming
- Bring vision to the team in the form of new technology recommendations, ideas and approaches
- Mentor entry-level developers willing to become world-class
We are interested in a candidate from any background as long as you have a solid understanding of core computer science principles. Here’s an abbreviated list of interesting technologies we currently use:
- Google Cloud, Docker, Google Cloud Pub/Sub
- 3-5 years of software development experience
- Strong understanding of computer science principles
- Experience working in an agile environment (standups, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc)
- TDD and pair programming experience
- Experience or strong interest in microservices architectures and distributed systems
- Solid written and verbal communication
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!