Reporting To: Branch Leader
Job Location: Hoima, Masaka, Mbale, Wobulenzi, Mubende, Fort Portal, Soroti
Application Deadline: October 31st, 2019
Tugende is a technology enabled asset finance company with a social mission. We provide an affordable path to ownership of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs. Our primary product is a lease to own motorcycle financing package which includes training, life and health insurance, and active support. Tugende currently serves tens of thousands of clients in Uganda and we are preparing to extend our offering into Kenya.
With a market for motorcycle taxis of over 800,000 drivers in East Africa alone, Tugende is expanding rapidly in our core product. We are also building a platform with our staff, branches, data, systems, and deep knowledge of the informal sector, to expand into another asset financing as successfully as we have with our current core product.
About this Role:
We are looking for competent and motivated Senior Field Officers that can work with little direction to serve as the main point of contact between Tugende and its clients.
Tugende’s mission is focused on people: “Helping people help themselves”. As a Senior Field Officer, you will be responsible for the client’s lease approval process, from the initial class to final lease payment and loss recovery. The Senior Field Officer’s day-to-day responsibilities include conducting Tugende field operations e.g. vetting, loss recovery, managing collections, and responding to client needs.
The job holder will perform the following duties:
1. Client vetting and Management
- Recruit new applicants: Identify capable clients for Tugende hire-purchase arrangements.
- Register applicants: Meet with applicants to obtain information on them and answer their questions about the application process.
- Vet applicants: Conduct field visits (at applicant’s stage and home) while paired with another Field Officer.
- Analyze the strength of completed applications: Analyze applicants’ financial status, creditworthiness and outstanding leases to determine applicant qualification.
- Approve/Reject applicants: Evaluate applicant's creditworthiness in line with the existing guidelines
- Review lease agreements to ensure that they are complete and accurate according to the Tugende Policies.
- Help deliver Motorcycles to new clients. Ensure that clients understand the key terms and conditions of Tugende, as well as the warranty and maintenance requirements, before handing over the Motorcycles.
2. Manage client needs and portfolio performance
- Collections: Manage a portfolio of clients. Regularly follow up on client repayments (on phone and in person), understand any repayment and work challenges, give recommendations or escalate problem cases where necessary. Ensure client data is accurately captured in the lease management system in a timely manner
- Customer service: Listen and attend to customer comments and inquiries, give recommendations or escalate problem cases where necessary.
- Office work: Be able to help with office work including signing contracts with clients, transferring titles for Motorcycles and processing passenger service vehicle licenses (PSVs).
- Office maintenance: Help keep office clean, manage motorcycle traffic outside office, and coordinate clients during applicant classes.
- Coordinate with local authorities: Engage them as required to facilitate field operations.
1. Preferred Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Highly self-motivated and able to demonstrate a drive for results with a professional approach from a team
- Excellent communication, presentation skills and professionally presentable
- Exhibit a passion for customers, and provide excellent customer service and empathy for our customers
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and willing to work in rural areas in different regions of Uganda
- Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing
- Ability and willingness to learn to ride a motorcycle to conduct fieldwork
- Computer literate with the ability to comfortably use MS Office.
- High level of professionalism and integrity, with good moral character
- Ability to work under minimum supervision with resilience and a “can do’’ attitude
- Fluent in key local languages for the region applied
2. Preferred Qualification:
- A minimum of a diploma in in a business-related field from a recognised institution of learning.
3. Preferred experience:
- Two years’ field-based experience working with a busy institution or organisation such as a microfinance or busy credit-related business
- Motorcycle riding ability is an added advantage and will be a requirement once on the job
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential to grow as the company and operations function grow.. Someone who does this job can be promoted to; Team leader, Credit / Collections Coordinator, Deputy Branch Leader, Branch Leader among others
Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by building knowledge and skills at using Tugende systems, understanding of lease accounting, Improve computer skills, Learning new methods to work with clients and help them overcome repayment challenges, Stay abreast of new innovations and financial services so as to better meet customer needs, Participate in programing: Attend career development programs organized by Tugende and learn how to ride a motorcycle
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in Uganda, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a livable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 360+ Employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our clients. Our headquarters are in Kampala, and we also have offices in Eastern and Western Uganda.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.
As part of our regional expansion in East African,Kenya is now launched! Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products, and tools to help Tugende to reach millions of customers without losing high touch personal support.