The Senior Accountant’s responsibilities will include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining the general ledger and preparing month-end close procedures. A successful Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and forecasts. The ideal candidate should also have experience collaborating and/or managing a team of both accountants and junior accountants.
The senior accountant’s duties will also include ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in all of our accounting tasks.
Job Category: Senior Accountant
Starting Salary: KSH 150,000
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile accounts payable and receivable
- Maintain and balance subsidiary accounts by verifying , allocating, posting, reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies
- Maintain the general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts; preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Produce error-free accounting reports and present their results
- Summarize financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss, and other statements. Produce budget according to schedule
- Spot errors and suggest ways to improve efficiency and spending
- Provide technical support and advice on Management accounts
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures
- Manage accounting assistants and bookkeepers
- Plan, assign and review staff’s work
- Participate in financial standards setting and in forecast process
- Provide input into department’s goal setting process
- Assist with tax audits and tax returns
- Direct internal and external audits to ensure compliance
- Support month-end and year-end close process
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles
- Liaise with our Financial manager and Accounting manager to improve financial procedures
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups.
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Proven experience as a financial controller, accounting supervisor, chief or senior accountant
- Thorough knowledge of basic accounting procedures
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Hands-on experience with accounting software packages
- Advanced MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant certification (e.g. ACCA, ACA or CPA) will be preferred.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send in their applications and CV’s through email below clearly stating the position applied for on the subject line on or before 22nd February 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.