The Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEND) Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD) in partnership with United Nations Development Program (UNDP) is implementing a Global Environment Facility (GEF) supported a full-size project titled: "lntegrated Waste Management and Biogas NAMA in Uganda”. The project aims at production of biogas for electricity generation, provide environmental benefits and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from improper and inadequate management and treatment of wastewater and organic waste in towns, municipalities and agro-processing industry in Uganda. The project combines demonstration and investment in integrated waste treatment and biogas plants in agro-processing industry and selected municipalities. Institutional strengthening, capacity building, and an improved regulatory framework for improved waste management are key deliverables of the project.
A Project Manager (PM). a Finance and Administration (F&A) Associate and drivers are required to constitute the Project Management Unit (PMU) under the coordination and supervision of MEMD. The candidates’ specifications and requirements for these positions are provided here below.
Position: Project Manager
He/she will undertake the following functions and responsibilities among others.
Functions and responsibilities of the PM:
• Provide management of project implementation activities.
• Prepare the detailed annual work plans for the each year, as well as quarterly plans as required;
• Ensure efficient and effective management of the resources provided for the project.
• Manage requests for the provision of financial resources by UN_DP, through advance of funds, direct payments, or reimbursement using the FACE (Fund Authorization and Certificate of Expenditures);
• Organize and act as secretary to Project Board meetings.
• Perform regular progress reporting to the project coordinator for submission to the Project Board;
• Be responsible for preparing and submitting financial reports to the Project coordinator MEMD and UNDP on a quarterly basis;
• Manage and monitor delivery of outputs by national and international experts and institutions to work for the project in line with Terms of Reference.
• Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified and submit new risks to the project coordinator for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
• Monitor activities as determined in the project monitoring schedule plan, and update the plan as required;
• Link between the international and national experts, ensuring the national staff receives all necessary training, templates, methodologies and support to undertake their data collection functions.
• Any other duties assigned to him/her by the project coordinator.
• Report to the Project Coordinator
• Ability to lead strategic planning, change processes, results-based management and reporting;
• Ability to manage for results; translates strategic aims into achievable plans, with established priorities, monitors them, making periodic adjustments as required.
• Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
• Demonstrates outstanding communication skills oral and written communication skills;
• Negotiation skills: capacity to work with diverse partners including Government, donors and civil society;
• Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
• At least a Masters’ Degree in Renewable Energy or Energy Studies with specialization in Waste- to- Energy.
• Post graduate qualifications in Project Management and Planning is an added advantage;
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Environmental Engineering), Forestry, Physical Sciences
• Minimum five (5) years of relevant work experience;
• At least three (3) years’ experience in the Renewable Energy and climate change mitigation sector and working knowledge of the Uganda's energy and environment sectors with extensive contact in the public and private sectors and civil society organizations;
• Past experience with GEF — supported project activities is advantageous;
• Strategic planning and results oriented management proﬁle with strong reporting and ﬁnancial management skills;
• Understanding of renewable energy technologies and their contribution to change mitigation strategies and emission reduction beneﬁts;
• Knowledge of clean energy ﬁnancing under carbon ﬁnancing mechanisms
Job application procedure
All suitably qualiﬁed candidates should submit applications together with the detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of the documents, names and addresses of three referees to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development, Attn: Assistant Commissioner/Human Resource Management. Amber House, Second Floor Room A205, Kampala Road, Opposite Workers House not later than 29th March, 2019 at 5:00pm
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.