Reporting to: Senior Programme Manager, UK
Based in: Kampala, Uganda (but the role will require frequent travel across the country).
Key Consortium Stakeholders: Opportunity Bank of Uganda, FINCA Uganda, PHB Development
Opportunity International’s vision is a world in which all people have the opportunity to achieve a life free from poverty, with dignity and purpose. We support local microfinance organisations that provide innovative financial solutions to empower people, create jobs and build vibrant communities. Our products, services and training enable clients to develop businesses, to save and to insure against and uncertain future.
The Project Coordinator will be the focal point of Opportunity International’s new Refugee Programme. Responsible for end to end management of the programme from field implementation, compliance, partnerships management, and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
This position will also act as the Safeguarding focal point providing technical advice to the project partners.
PROJECT BACKGROUND AND ACTIVITIES
From April 2019, Opportunity International will be rolling out a new project working with refugees to access a variety of financial products, trainings and services to equip refugee families to build secure and stable lives for themselves and their children. The project will initially focus on two refugee settlements – Nakivale and Kiryandongo, with scope to expand the project to other settlements in future years.
The project will build on existing financial services, both digital and non-digital, to enable refugees to graduate from a place of dependency to one of self-reliance and self-sufficiency. Access to finance will help refugees achieve sustainable livelihoods, generate wealth, smooth consumption and ensure long-term security, thus unlocking their potential to be self-reliant in Uganda, or plan for a safe return to their country of origin.
OVERALL AIMS OF THE POST
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for working closely with the UK Senior Programme Manager in coordinating all project activities across the project partnership and will be the main point of contact for Opportunity UK’s Refugee Project in Uganda. In this capacity, he/she will work closely with all partners in the planning, monitoring, and evaluation of field activities in line with budgets and work plans agreed with the Senior Programme Manager.
The Project Coordinator will have experience of supporting international programme
management on sizeable and complex development projects. Strong project and data management skills are essential. The Project Coordinator will coordinate regularly with partners and programme stakeholders for maximum outreach. Working closely with the OIUK Senior Programme Manager in the UK, he/she will be responsible for ensuring proper documentation and follow through of all programme activities and commitments.
- Achieving quality results & service
o Managing projects effectively, achieving predefined outcomes in a timely manner. Planned & organised; able to manage expectations and prioritise competing demands from multiple stakeholders. Positive, optimistic and resourceful in dealing with obstacles and with change.
- Communicating information effectively
o Excellent level of verbal and written communication with stakeholders at all levels. Facilitating appropriate information flow amongst staff and with key stakeholders. Keen negotiation skills.
- Building collaborative relationships
o Building and promoting constructive internal and external relationships. Confidence and ability to deal diplomatically at all levels including senior management. Strong networking and consortium building skills
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree in the humanities or social sciences.
· Minimum five years' experience in international project management and experience of coordinating and reporting on large complex grants/projects.
· Strong interpersonal, partnership brokering and networking skills. Experience of working with, managing and developing relationships with project partners based both locally and oversees.
· Proven and strong risk and financial management skills with a determined attitude for a thorough approach to risk mitigation and management.
· Experience of communicating and monitoring compliance to complex donor regulations concisely and clearly to stakeholders with varying degrees of knowledge.
· Financial Inclusion – driving access and adoption of traditional and digital financial services.
· Background in financial literacy and/or working with refugees.
· Strong MEL experience with a proven track record of design, monitoring, evaluation and impact analysis and research design and supervision.
· Excellent written communications and experience in preparing reports, in English.
· Computer skills, including word processing, email, and internet.
· Commitment to and understanding of Opportunity International's mission, vision, and values.
· Ability to travel within Uganda, sometimes for extended periods and at short notice.
· Fluency in English is required; proficiency in several local languages is desirable.
· Must have the right to work in Uganda
· Past experience working with financial institutions.
· Safeguarding and Child Protection knowledge.
· Ability to work without supervision, take initiative and make decisions on the spot.
The successful applicant will be employed on a one-year contract initially with the possibility to extend (dependent on funding).
Salary: UGX 4,500,000 to UGX 7,000,000 net per month negotiable subject to experience.
In order to apply please send your CV and cover letter, of no more than two pages each, to Mandy Burrows email@example.com
Applications will close on 26th March 2019 but applications will be reviewed as they are received and a decision may be made before the closing date.