The Government of the Republic of Uganda (GOU) has received financial grants from Gavi to support the Immunization Program.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, wish to invite suitably qualified Ugandan citizens (candidates) to fill the position of Project Accountant at the Uganda National Expanded Programme on Immunization (UNEPI). Applications should be addressed to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, P.O. Box 7272, Kampala, and hard copy applications delivered to Room C116 or should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5 pm, 31 March 2020.
Please attach a Curriculum Vitae, ICPAU membership certificate and copies of all your academic qualifications plus other relevant supporting documents. Applicants who will not hear from the Ministry on completion of the recruitment and selection exercise should consider themselves unsuccessful. The position is on a contract basis for a period of two years, renewable up to the end of the project based on satisfactory performance.
Reports to: Grants Coordinator
Salary Scale: Competitive
Age Limit: 25-35; demanding high energy and expeditious delivery of targets within assigned timelines.
He/She will be responsible for supporting: project financial management, accounting and reporting for the Immunization Program. He/She will support planning & budgeting for all the programs and optimization of the use of IFMIS.
While the role reports directly to the Grants Coordinator, the job holder will be required to work closely with other stakeholders including; Ministry of Health Accounts Division, Ministry of Health Budget and Finance Division, Ministry of Health Procurement Division, Ministry of Health Internal Audit, Gavi FMA, Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development, E-cash partner banks and EPI stakeholders like Regional Referral Hospitals and District Local Governments.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Project Accountant will take operational responsibility for the following duties:
• Responsible for timely processing of payments and ensuring that they are properly coded and posted into IFMIS, the Government of Uganda Accounting system;
• Responsible for maintaining an effective filing system for all financial transactions to provide an effective audit trail; and
• Working with the Grants Coordinator, support the retirement of all program funds within the allowable 90 days reporting period. This includes a review of the relevant documents for accuracy, authenticity, and completeness.
• Lead the preparation and compilation of relevant documentation as may be requested for internal and external audit;
• Support implementation of audit recommendations, working closely with other program staff; and
• Participate in periodic support supervision activities alongside Program staff.
Bank and cash management.
Prepare timely cash forecasts and ensure that the Program has adequate cash resources to implement planned activities; and
• Safeguard the value of program funds through tracking foreign exchange fluctuations
and managing foreign exchange translations.
• Ensure compliance with the Government of Uganda statutory obligations, financial management guidelines, and donor requirements.
• Supervise a program staff as may be designated by the EPI Program Manager.
Planning and budgeting
• Responsible for developing timely and accurate budgets for donor-funded and Government of Uganda Immunization programs; and
• Monitor budget utilization, prepare budgetary reports and lead in the preparation of reprogrammed budgets if required based on work plans and proposals.
• Lead preparation of periodic standard financial reports as per GOU and Donor requirements. The reports should include: statement of income and expenditure, budget to actual analysis, fund accountability statement, aging analysis of advances, bank reconciliation statements and other relevant financial reports; and
• Performing any other duties as assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Work experience and competencies required
• A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in an accounting position in a reputable organization.
• Experience working in the Public Sector and on donor-funded projects will be an added experience.
• A computer is literate with advanced hands-on experience in the use of accounting packages. Experience in the use of the Government IFMIS system will be an added advantage.
• A Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University. A Master’s Degree or Post Graduate Diploma in Accounting, finance or Management will be an added advantage.
• A member in good standing with the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda.