Founded in 2001, DwB uses user-centered design practices to address complex challenges faced by organisations, businesses and communities in low and middle-income countries.
DwB contributes in the development of new products, systems and solutions within the business environment, urban development and development/aid projects in developing countries. DwB’s design philosophy is based on participatory processes and strong user involvement. DwB operates within several design disciplines, with the core in the field of industrial, product and service design.
Design without Borders Uganda is looking for a highly skilled designer that is interested in becoming a part of the design team at our office. We are looking for a self-driven, reliable person that has the ability to work well in a team and is able to take responsibility for his/her projects.
DwB is looking for a collaborative Product/Service Designer to join the design team in their Uganda office to take lead on several service design projects.
a) As a Senior Designer, you will be responsible for the conceptualization and development of new and innovative products and solutions, working in collaboration with partners and client teams from other disciplines.
b) The designer will also assist in the development, coordination, and implementation of teaching and communication of design methods to contribute to DWB's ongoing and planned capacity building programs aimed at strengthening applied knowledge in user-centered design methods to product and service development.
c) The designer will manage and participate in design projects and assignments for Design without Borders and its clients and partners, undertaking the following;
- Project Research - Ethnographic research and document user needs, facilitate co-creation processes, analyze design requirements, competitive and industry trends analysis. Conduct field research in various contexts and countries.
- Ideation and Conceptualisation - Adapting and conceptualizing new and innovative products and solutions, including and not limited to aspects of form, aesthetics, user ergonomics and physical/psychological interactions between users and the solutions. Utilizing a range of media to create sketches, renderings, models etc. as necessary to convey design intent. Determine material, construction, mechanisms, shape, color, surface finish and manufacturing processes in cooperation with Engineering and Manufacturing. Communicate design solutions effectively and appropriately with intended users, project partners and clients, and other stakeholders.
- Design Development & Support - Rapid prototyping, creating 3-dimensional models using relevant media. Collaborate with relevant partners and technicians to ensure that implementation requirements are met. Review design files to ensure that design intent is maintained. Communicate design specifications, standards and coordinate with suppliers as necessary. Assist with graphics and communications design. Conduct field testing and pilot studies in conjunction with partners to ensure user needs have been met. Support continuous improvement projects.
- Documentation, monitoring and evaluation - Make sure all design processes are well documented and updated with monitoring and evaluation of design effect.
- Training and Skill sharing - Delivering presentations to key stakeholders, sharing compelling stories that are effective in communicating about various process design concepts in an effective and efficient way, Articulating and evangelising the value of service design to Internal DwB designers.
- Perform other duties as assigned related to projects, partners and the office
• Bachelor degree in Industrial and Product Design, Service Design or related is a must, Masters degree preferred.
• 8+ years of Design experience preferred (Salary will be commensurate with experience)
• Good written and visual communication skills
• Excellent co-creation facilitation, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
• Analytical problem solving, knowledge of user-centred design principles
• Must have ability to do rapid prototyping with various prototyping tools
• Flexibility to travel and work overseas for long periods
• Demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Outstanding portfolio that showcases creative and systematic design thinking and execution
• You must be Fluent in French and English, written and spoken
All your information will be kept confidential according to DwB guidelines.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Opportunity to work with passionate designers problem solving for change on a daily
- A chance to design and create the change you want to see in the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.