Reports to: Head Doctor, Medical Coordinator, Nurse Coordinator
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a humanitarian non-governmental organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that demonstrates God’s love and compassion. The organization works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change through empowering partnerships and responsible action. Currently the organization implements relief and development projects in West Nile, Acholi, Karamoja and South-Western Uganda. ADRA wishes to recruit a highly qualified, experienced and energetic Ugandan national, to occupy the vacant position of Internal Auditor/Controller.
Comprehensive Emergency Medical Support (CEMS) – Field Emergency and Inpatient Unit + Comprehensive Primary and Secondary Health Clinic. The CEMS Project is contributing to run a static emergency medical unit 24/7 in Kyaka II Refugee Settlement that is serving the refugee community mainly from DRC, as well the host community.
Job Summary: The Pharmacists are responsible for the dispensing and procurement of medicinal products and supplies used in the hospital, working with other medical personnel to provide treatments and advice to patients, recording patient histories relating to the medicinal use, and ensuring the safe and secure storage of all medicines and hospital supplies. The pharmacist serves patients by preparing medications; by giving pharmacological information to a multidisciplinary health care team; by monitoring patient drug therapies. They are experts in the field of medicines, how they’re used and their effect on the human body, as well as being responsible for dispensing prescriptions, purchasing and quality testing of the medicines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Dispense medications as prescribed by doctors and dentists, by calculating, weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients;
- Keep an update daily record of the medicines in stock vs medicines dispensed;
- Provide information and advice about drugs, their side effects, correct dosage, and proper storage to all patients;
- Review prescriptions from doctors to ensure accuracy, to ascertain the needed ingredients, and to evaluate their suitability for the patient;
- Work closely with other medical staff to plan, monitor, review, or evaluate the quality or effectiveness of drugs and on problems patients may experience when taking their medicines;
- Make sure medicines are stored appropriately and securely;
- Keep records such as pharmacy files, patient profiles, charge system files, inventories, registries of poisons, narcotics or controlled drugs;
- Plan, implement, or maintain procedures for mixing, packaging, or labelling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security and proper disposal in coordination with Medical and Nurse coordinators;
- Complies with national drug laws as regulated by the MoH and WHO; maintaining records for controlled substances; removing outdated and damaged drugs from the pharmacy inventory; maintaining current registration; studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; advising management on needed actions;
- Order pharmaceutical supplies or drugs, maintaining stock and storing and handling it properly;
- Answer questions about medicines from within the CEMS and other health stakeholders;
- Create guidelines, when necessary, for drug use within the CEMS and implement regulations in coordination with the Management Team;
- Provide information on expenditure on drugs;
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Develop hospital staff’s pharmacological knowledge by participating in clinical programs, training pharmacy staff, and health care professionals;
- Keep up to date with, and contribute to, research and development.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the ADRA Uganda Pharmacist job placement should hold a Degree in Pharmacology
- Five years of experience
- Ability to work in a rotating shift of 8 hours
- Work extra hours, when needed, on weekends and/or holidays
- Flexibility to be on call
- Fluent in English
- Swahili and French
- Previous experience in humanitarian work
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people from different educational, linguistic, cultural and religious backgrounds
- Proficiency in handling basic computer programs used in hospital management and basic computer skills in Word and Excel.
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit their applications online at the link below
Click Here: http://30.adrauganda.org/join-our-team/cems-pharmacist/