Funding Source: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
The Vegetable Oil Development Project Phase 2 (V0DP2) is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) funded by IFAD and Government of Uganda (GOU). The V0DP2 goal is to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction in the project area. The Development objective is to increase the domestic production of vegetable oil and its’ by products, thus raising rural incomes for smallholder producers and ensuring the supply of affordable vegetable oil products to Ugandan consumers and neighboring regional markets. VODP2 has three components; the Oil palm Development Component, the Oilseeds Development Component and the Project Management Component. Through the project, Government of Uganda is investing in the development of oilseed crops (sunflower, soybean, sesame & groundnuts) value chains in fifty one districts in Eastern and Northern Uganda, and cultivation of oil palm in Kalangala and Buvuma Districts.
Job Summary: The Oil Seeds Coordinator (OSC) will be managing the successful planning and implementation of the Oilseed component activities under the project
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate and supervise all oil seeds development activities under the project.
- Ensure project implementation, management and timely production of the component reports in compliance with Project Operations and Financial Management Manual.
- Liaise closely with the Hub Coordinators to ensure implementation of the oil seeds annual workplan and budget.
- Initiate, promote and broker linkages between the key actors in the oil seeds value chain, such as millers and traders, input suppliers and cooperatives and other producer organizations and services such as research, extension and quality control services.
- Oversee the performance of contracted service providers for extension, quality control, cooperative development, research, and others.
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping on oilseeds value chain development activities.
- Participate in collection, analysis, storage and dissemination of oil seed value chain data, as foreseen in the results framework such as for milling, trading, production and input supply as well as services.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of oilseeds development activities.
- Assess training needs for staff in all areas of oil seed value chain development such as agribusiness development, cost-benefit analysis, agronomy, seed production, and quality and post-harvest management for oilseeds through regular consultations with other professionals, relevant institutions and stakeholders.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders in the development of training packages on oil seeds value chain development for specific target groups (farmers, groups, millers, artisans input supplies seed stockists).
- Liaise with policy makers in MAAIF and other relevant ministries on lessons learnt in oil seed sub-sector development and with the oilseeds subsector organizations as well as trade organizations.
- In close collaboration with research, identify and promote the use and production of seed of other suitable/emerging oilseed crop varieties.
- In close collaboration with the Knowledge Management Specialist, liaise with other institutions and agencies involved in oilseed development and collate and package information for use by farmers, staff and other stakeholders.
- In close collaboration with other Project Monitoring Unit staff and implementing agencies, compile sectional progress reports, work plans and budgets.
- Perform any other relevant duties as may be instructed by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or Agribusiness or related field from a recognized university.
- A post-graduate qualification in Agribusiness, Agronomy, Agricultural Economics or any other related
- Eight years’ experience in working with private sector with an orientation towards value chain development in agriculture development projects.
- Good knowledge of participatory approaches for multi-stake holder and community-based activity planning, budgeting and accountability.
- Extensive knowledge of commercial/marketing strategies for agricultural commodities would be an advantage.
- A professional of high standing with strong leadership and communication, facilitation and team building skills.
- Good knowledge of computer applications particularly MS Excel, Word, Access and Power point,
- Excellent report writing skills
How to Apply
All interested candidates should send sealed applications, curriculum vitae and copies of the academic documents should be submitted to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Open Registry, P.O. Box 102, Entebbe, Uganda. Please indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
Deadline: 23rd November 2018