African Centre for Trade and Development (ACTADE) was registered in 2003 as a Non- Government Organisation (S. 5914/ 4516) with the main purpose of influencing and facilitating the development and promotion of trade, and sustainable development. ACTADE’s programming covers the areas of trade empowerment, inclusive budgeting and climate change action. With the support of our development partners, ACTADE wishes to fill the following position.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION OFFICER As the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, you will bring solid professional experience, knowledge and skills in M&E to support the organisation and staff undertake various processes and procedures employing different tools to undertake documentation and evidence building on results and outcomes of the Citizens’ Voice and Action project at ACTADE.
This will include but not be limited to qualitative and quantitative research skills, designing a toolkit of participatory methods and approaches to support staff in community-level qualitative and quantitative data collection, entry, analysis, report generation and dissemination. You will lend your strong analytical lens to your work with colleagues.
You will develop and design databases and a functional M&E system that captures and stores data for various purposes including supporting informed decision making, effective planning, corrective action and demonstrating changes achieved as a result of the Citizen Voice and Action project by ACTADE. A key deliverable of the role will be to set up an M&E system for the organization and databases for effective data management, M&E framework and guidelines and work with staff to improve on both their quantitative and qualitative data analysis capacities and how data is used for reporting, learning and sharing on project progress and for program quality improvement.
This includes pulling together key learning in an accessible format for a range of stakeholders, senior management, board and beneficiaries.
Reports to the Director of Programmes
Salary (Gross Annual) 40,000,000/= - 45,000,000/=
Responsible for None
Location Kampala, with occasional travel to regional offices and project areas.
• Lead the development of the ACTADE Monitoring and
• Lead the design of data bases for organisational data storage
• Lead the design of M&E framework and guidelines for the organisation
• Lead periodic data analysis and development of performance overviews for monthly Senior Management Meetings and Board Quarterly meetings, in liaison with the Programme Manager and Programme Director.
• Lead the design of the data collection tools and ensure their correct utilisation.
• Lead the design of project baselines, midlines and end lines (including design of tools and managing their effective implementation)
• Lead the data collection to draft baseline, quarterly, annual, midline and end line reporting/evaluations reporting ensuring gender and other disadvantaged groups data disaggregation.
• Plan and execute communication activities in line with ACTADE’s communication strategy including providing evidence to inform communication stories/messages.
• Develop and document high level lesson learning, e.g. policy briefs, technical papers, best practices, and case studies.
• Provide technical support to ACTADE staff in monitoring, reporting and documenting key learnings, best practices, processes and outcomes.
• Conduct data quality assurance audits and spot checks, including through routine monitoring visits to project sites, to ensure data quality and aggregate data at the sub-region levels.
• Conduct pertinent data analysis for informed decision-making, and assist in following up on implementation of recommendations.
• Should have a Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following disciplines: Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, IT, Development Studies, or Social Sciences, from a, recognized awarding University or Institution.
A post-graduate Diploma or Degree or other critical training preferably in Monitoring and Evaluation is an added advantage.
The applicant should be between 25 and 45 years of age.
• Should have relevant working experience of at least three years
leading M&E design and implementation across the project cycle (baseline, midline, end line), as well as quarterly and annual reporting.
• Previous experience designing M&E databases and systems.
• Experience with communications, documentation, learning, and sharing for various audiences.
• Experience working with multiple teams to generate M&E products and rollout M&E processes and procedures.
• Experience designing basic information management systems for projects or organization.
• Designing M&E products, with strong proven writing and reporting skills including expertise in the presentation and interpretation of data to guide project improvement and progress.
• Working with contacts in the NGO community.
• Demonstrated proficiency in SPSS, Excel and other statistical packages for qualitative and quantitative data analysis and report writing.
• Working experience in trade, development and governance sectors.
• Working with simple publishing software i.e. publisher, adobe, canva, etc. for report generation and simple graphic design.
• People skills, mobilization, and organizational skills.
• Graphics, design and presentation skills.
• Qualitative and Quantitative techniques for data collection.
• Fluency in English and Luganda.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, liaison and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve outstanding results.
• Data Analysis skills and use of statistical analysis packages such as Ms Excel, SPSS/ Stata, Epidata/Epinfo, Nvivo, Atlas ti, etc.
• Computer Applications-Ms Excel, Ms Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to send their applications enclosing curriculum vitae, academic and professional certificates along with the names and contacts of three referees. Applications should be sent to the Executive Director by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver to: African Centre for Trade and Development plot 2 Agape Close|Ntinda, Kigoowa P.O Box 16452, Kampala Uganda. Please include the title of the position for which you are applying on the envelope or in the subject line of the email. Applications should be received by 5:00pm on the 21st of January 2020. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.