Reports to: Head Doctor, Medical Coordinator, Nurse Coordinator
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a humanitarian non-governmental organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that demonstrates God’s love and compassion. The organization works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change through empowering partnerships and responsible action. Currently the organization implements relief and development projects in West Nile, Acholi, Karamoja and South-Western Uganda. ADRA wishes to recruit a highly qualified, experienced and energetic Ugandan national, to occupy the vacant position of Internal Auditor/Controller.
Comprehensive Emergency Medical Support (CEMS) – Field Emergency and Inpatient Unit + Comprehensive Primary and Secondary Health Clinic. The CEMS Project is contributing to run a static emergency medical unit 24/7 in Kyaka II Refugee Settlement that is serving the refugee community mainly from DRC, as well the host community.
Job Summary: The Laboratory Technician assist physicians and nurses in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases by performing tests on tissue, blood and other body fluids. Should have experience in working under possibly hazardous conditions (e.g. pathogens or chemicals), maintaining safety conditions always. The goal is to optimize lab procedures and succeed in producing reliable and important results that can be used to make a difference. They should have excellent communication and computer skills as they need to be able to report test results to physicians quickly and accurately. The Hospital Laboratory Technician needs to know how to use medical equipment, such as cell counters, microscopes and testing utensils. These technicians need to be able to decipher chemicals, body fluids, microorganisms and be able to understand medical terminology and to perform routine clinical laboratory tests in haematology, chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, immunology and coagulation. The Lab professionals should demonstrate ethical and moral attitudes that are necessary for maintaining the confidentiality of patient information and gaining the confidence of patients, professional associates and the community.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory test in toxicology; chemistry; haematology; immunology; microbiology laboratories;
- Receive, type, test and record blood bank inventories (project’s phase two with the theatre and the delivery room);
- Organize work by matching computer orders with specimen labelling, sorting specimens, checking labelling; logging specimens and arranging reports for delivery;
- Maintain quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance, calibrating equipment and monitoring quality control measures and protocols;
- Record all data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic) with accuracy and responsibility;
- Ensure that all safety guidelines are followed strictly at all times and maintain a clean and orderly environment and keeping work surfaces clean and orderly;
- Identify and communicate abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, physician or nurse;
- (toxicology) identify the presence or quantity of drugs of abuse, therapeutic drugs, and toxic substances by operating toxicology instrumentation and performing manual methods for the performance of drug screens, blood alcohol levels, and carbon monoxide levels, if applicable;
- (chemistry) provide test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating chemistry equipment and performing hand chemistries;
- (haematology) provide test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating haematology, urinalysis, and coagulation equipment; performing manual methods of differentials;
- (immunology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating equipment such as the gamma counter, spectrophotometer, densitometer, and through methods such as radioimmunoassay, enzyme immunoassay, and serological testing;
- (microbiology) provides the physician with information for treatment of patient infection by performing technical procedures for the identification or susceptibility of bacteria, parasites, fungi, and mycobacteria;
- (blood bank) ensures the patient of receiving compatible blood/blood components by completing blood typing, antibody screening, compatibility testing, and antibody identification procedures; and assures future retrieval of patient transfusion information by preparing patient packets and maintaining blood bank database, if applicable;
- Contribute to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations;
- Maintain patient confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential;
- Serve and protect the patients by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures;
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the ADRA Uganda Laboratory Technician job placement should hold a Degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Three years of experience
- Experience in operating electrical and nonelectrical laboratory equipment and potentially dangerous substances (flammable liquids, infectious bacteria, biohazards etc.)
- Fluent in English
- Swahili and French
- Previous experience in humanitarian work
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people from different educational, linguistic, cultural and religious backgrounds
How to Apply
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should submit their applications online at the link below
Click Here: http://30.adrauganda.org/join-our-team/cems-laboratory-technician/