Closing date: 31 Mar 2019
Forcier is a multi-disciplinary research and monitoring & evaluation firm operating across Africa and the Middle East since 2011. Our core services include program evaluations, opinion polling, third party monitoring, and capacity building for UN Agencies, NGOs, governments and private sector clients operating in post-conflict and challenging environments. Forcier currently has offices in South Sudan, Somalia, Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Mozambique, and Uganda.
Perfect Candidate: Forcier is looking for a Business Development Officer that has a passion for writing, data, making connections- and winning. A sense of ownership over one’s work, and a competitive edge, is essential for this role. We are looking for a gifted writer, with an interest in East Africa, who can help Forcier expand our services in the region through high-quality written outputs. Experience in Uganda and East Africa is a major advantage. Experience working in business development at a research or international development organization, and on USAID or DfID initiatives, is a definite advantage as well.
The first four months is considered a probationary period and the position is unpaid but offers a:
· In-country living stipend;
· Accommodation at the Forcier guesthouse; and
· Round-trip flights (if not currently based in Kampala)
After the probationary period a salary will be offered for an additional eight months, in addition to the living stipend, accommodation, and other benefits.
Reports to: Business Development Manager – East Africa
· Identify opportunities through partner engagement and desk research
· Write proposals for Forcier projects in South Sudan, Uganda, East Africa, and other locations across Africa and the Middle East on an as-needed basis
· Assist the Research Team on various aspects of projects, including playing a role in select projects in order to gain valuable research experience
· Identify all potential partners, clients, and competitors in East Africa- and select other countries - and establish a database for contact management
· Establish contact with partners, clients, and competitors and represent Forcier in introductory meetings to explain our unique selling points/competitive advantages
· Maintain relationships with existing/new partners through routine contact
· Assist the Global Business Development Department by liaising with the South Sudan and Uganda Country Offices teams to provide information on country staffing, logistics, financial information, and project updates
· Assist in improving and maintaining new and existing business development resources (templates, CVs, promotional materials, databases, etc.)
· A Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, Anthropology, Political Science, English, International Development Studies, or another relevant social science topic.
· Native fluency in English
· Effective ability to pro-actively prioritize and meet strict deadlines
· Interest in the East Africa region and South Sudan & Uganda in particular
· Ability to work independently and remotely with little oversight
· Strong Microsoft Office and Internet research skills
· Excellent communication skills
Preferred (but not required) skills:
· Experience with grant writing or training in business development
· Familiarity with research, including quantitative and qualitative research methods
· Experience with corporate marketing, branding, or graphic design
· Experience living or working in Africa
· Knowledge of the international development industry
Please email applications to email@example.com with "Junior Business Development Officer - East Africa" in the subject line. Your application must include one single PDF containing your cover letter (in English), CV (in English), a writing sample (in English and no longer than 3 pages) with your name as the filename.
In your Cover Letter, please detail why you are interested in business development (including proposal writing), and why monitoring & evaluation is important for international development. Please do notsummarize your CV – use the Cover Letter as an opportunity to convince us why you’d be the best fit for this business development position.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.