Many East African SMEs are stuck in the “missing middle”, a financing gap for businesses who need between US 50k and 500k. iungo capital is an investment company that provides growth capital to such early stage and growing SMEs in Uganda. iungo capital invests in value addition businesses that are cash positive and highly scalable, operating in sectors such as agri-processing or light manufacturing. iungo capital leverages the resources, networks and expertise of local business angels who are invited to co-invest on a deal by deal basis, and brings in the additionally required capital as lead investor, structured as short to mid-term mezzanine debt or quasi equity.
iungo capital is currently looking to hire an investment manager based in Kampala, Uganda, who have a passion for being hands-on, on-site, and end-to-end involved with SMEs, to help them become investment ready, support the overall investment execution process, and/or posterior to assist them in maximizing growth, scaling operations, improving business performance and realizing their impact potential. More specifically, we are looking for professionals who can take responsibility of some of the following tasks –line with their experience, preference and ambitions.
Tasks & responsibilities
- Screen potential businesses for investment, based on various operational, financial, and ESG criteria.
- Interact with local partners and pipeline feeder organizations.
- Conduct in-depth credit appraisal analysis based on current assets and potential future income.
- Create financial projection models for income, balance sheet and cash flow.
- Conduct profitability analysis of overall business and business units.
- Prepare investment documentations.
- Support the investment negotiation process.
- Support the deal execution process.
- Identify potential co-investing business angels
Expected background & skills
- A Master's degree in business administration, economics, finance/accounting, or engineering.
- Management consulting or tangible investment experience; either having worked with a major accounting/consulting organization or investment company.
- Intensive knowledge and understanding, preferably by experience, of some of the following business domains: operations, financial and risk management, accounting, management controls.
- Knowledge of the East African SME sector; specific understanding of the agribusinesses and/or (light) manufacturing sector in the region will be considered a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, with an entrepreneurial drive.
- Abilities to establish a mixture of empathy, trust, confidentiality and straightforwardness, paramount to help the entrepreneur to see things more clearly from a different view-point.
- Excellent feedback, interpersonal and communication skills
- Creativity and flexibility to interact with entrepreneurs to offer individualized services.
- Problem solving and strategic planning abilities; analytical skills and attention to detail; good numerical skills.
- And finally, commitment and self-motivation are key to be part of an organization that takes skin in the game. You enjoy seeing the results and impact of your work, making a difference in the environment that surrounds you.
We offer a competitive salary and a challenging job in the impact investment sector, in an international and diverse environment, with a lot of responsibilities and opportunities to influence the development of our organization, contributing to sustainable change. We aspire a joint future in the long term.
We are looking for candidates already residing in Uganda and has necessary work permit for Uganda.
How to apply?
Are you interested? You can apply by submitting your 1-page application letter and max. 2-page CV specifying with “investment manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; only short-listed candidates will be contacted.