Duty Station : Kampala, Uganda
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 30 May 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the
benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Congo, Cabo Verde, Czech Republic,
Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Guyana,
Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands,
Mauritania, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay,
Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste,
Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the direct supervision and guidance
of the Resources Management Officer and in close coordination with Regional Information
Technology and Communication Officer in Nairobi, the successful candidate will provide all the
necessary Information Technology and Communication (ITC) support to the mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise and coordinate the activities of the Information Technology and Communication
(ITC) Unit for the mission, ensuring that all requests are addressed timely and accurately, with
an efficient allocation of resources.
2. Secure the implementation of standard IOM ITC policies and guidelines, with regards to
network systems, IT security, software licensing, telecoms and ITC procurement.
3. Ensure the required performance and stability of network services and servers (LAN, WAN,
Messaging, Internet and VSATs connectivity, VPN, etc.), to prevent and minimize downtime or
4. Coordinate the configuration and performance of the HF/VHF networks and equipment, as
well as the provision of Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) compliance devices to
Page 1 / 4
staff and office vehicles.
5. Monitor daily the accuracy and completion of servers’ backups.
6. Liaise with ITC service providers and vendors for the adequate provision of supplies and
7. Maintain the office’s ITC inventory for hardware and software (safeguarding media and
licenses), including regular updates to the technical documentation for the voice and data
8. Ensure the adequate IT infrastructure performance for mission-critical and corporate
applications such as Migrant Management Operational System Application (MiMOSA), PRISM,
SAP Intranet, CANVAC etc. Liaise with technical counterparts for technical support and
9. Facilitate the implementation of in-house development of required database information
systems to support mission operations, included, but not limited to, data collection, data analysis
and reporting and information management requirements facilitation.
10. Develop and implement when necessary, ITC training to all end users, data entry operators
and enumerators to ensure productive use of the IT, telecommunications and information
systems in the mission.
11. Advise mission management as necessary, for required improvements on mission IT
Infrastructure and provision of services as required for the efficient functioning of mission
12. In coordination with RMO liaise with Logistics and Procurement to ensure proper technical
specification for purchase of ITC-related equipment and propose most suitable solutions.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management or a related field from an
accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in implementation and administration of Microsoft Windows network environment
(LAN/WAN) and first level network/desktop support;
• Extensive knowledge of Windows Operating System for Clients and Servers, Administration of
a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, Telecoms, Network Protocols, Cisco devices, VPN, VoIP, MS
Office, Antivirus Software and utilities. CCNA, MTA/MCSA/MCSE certifications would be a
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of database information systems and data
processing tools. Knowledge of web-based development, geographical information systems
and/or mapping tools would be a distinctive advantage;
• Experience working with an international organization or an international agency in a field
• Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and demonstrate high level of initiative,
perseverance and professional commitment to achieve high-quality results;
• Demonstrated ability to handle confidential data in a professional, responsible and mature
Page 2 / 4
• Demonstrated ability to coach individuals, to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues
within a team from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in
the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 30 May 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Page 3 / 4
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
USE THE FOLLOWING LINK TO APPLY: https://bit.ly/2LdbyNg