Closing date: 16 Jan 2019
Position Title : Information and Technology Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 January 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Kenya Country Officer, the direct supervision of Senior Resources Management Officer (SRMO), and in close coordination with Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Headquarters (HQs) and Manila ICT Service Centre, the successful candidate will provide all the necessary Information Technology (IT) support to the Country Office (CO), including coordinating IT assistance to Country Offices in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Supervise and coordinate the activities of the ICT unit in IOM Kenya, ensuring that all requests are addressed timely and accurately with efficient allocation of resources. Assist in budgeting and allocating IT resources for the mission.
Implement systems upgrades and IT infrastructure changes in line with IOM ICT Standards and in close coordination with the Information Technology and Communications Service Centre in Manila. Install systems, network components, and software, recommending solutions to local technical constraints.
Secure the implementation of IOM ICT Standards, policies, and guidelines, with regards to implementation of network systems, IT security, software licensing, telecoms, and ICT procurement.
Monitor daily mission-critical application such as the Migrant Management Operational Systems Application, IGATOR and the SAP-based Processes and Resources Integrated Systems Management. Liaise effectively with technical counterparts for the proper functioning and availability of those systems. Assist with end-user training when required.
Ensure the required performance and stability of network services and servers (LAN, WAN, messaging, Internet and VSATs connectivity, VPN, etc.), to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruption.
Assist in training and supervising national IT staff in Kenya Country Office including sub offices.
Advise mission management as necessary, for required improvements on mission IT Infrastructure and provision of services as required for the efficient functioning of mission operations.
Carry out technical troubleshooting for, and assist with the configuration of, Tele-radiology IT infrastructure for the seamless data exchange between the Missions and Tele-Radiology Hub in Nairobi and Manila.
In coordination with SRMO, liaise with Logistics and Procurement Unit to ensure proper technical specification for purchase of ITC- related equipment and propose most suitable solutions.
Implement security processes for the various systems and network components including virus protection and Internet security. Provide guidance and information to users on phishing, Password Cracking, Malwares, etc.
Monitor daily the accuracy and completion of database, email and servers’ backups.
Provide first-line user support for staff in the Kenya Country Office in a timely and efficient manner.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Mathematics, Statistics, Electrical Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems, or related area;
• Knowledge of Software & Systems Development Life Cycle and experience in managing applications development and/or support teams;
• Experience configuring and working with Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) and SQL Server 2008 and Visual Studio 2010, required;
• Extensive knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Messaging Systems, Cisco devices,
VPN, VoIP, MS Office, Antivirus Software and utilities; holder of CCNA and/or a Microsoft
Certification a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge of IT Service Management frameworks such as ITIL, COBIT.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Kiswahili, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 January 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.01.2019 to 16.01.2019
Requisition: VN 2019/03 (P) - Information and Technology Officer (P2) - Nairobi, Kenya (55773989) Released
Posting: Posting NC55773990 (55773990) Released