Job by GLRA East Africa Regional Office (GLRA-EARO)
Category: Humanitarian aid, medicine, public health or other relevant areas
Location/Duty Station: GLRA Uganda programme office Kampala/Uganda
Position: Humanitarian Aid Coordinator for GLRA East Africa Regional Office
Career Level: Senior
Employment Type: Fixed term for two year with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to GLRA/DAHW general directions
BACKGROUND AND JOB DESCRIPTION
GLRA East Africa is a non-Governmental organization with Headquarters in Germany, addressing health, inclusion, Humanitarian Aid and research in an innovative way. GLRA East Africa is active in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, South Sudan, Sudan and Yemen, with its Regional office based in Addis Ababa/Ethiopia.
Humanitarian aid interventions are relevant to GLRA East Africa as several countries in region experience conflict situations or are exposed to the consequences of climate change, which results in an elevated vulnerability, particularly among the most marginalized and poor persons/populations in the region.
Purpose of the Job:
The main purpose of the job is to lead and manage the implementation of GLRA East Africa humanitarian aid programs/projects. The position is based in the GLRA Uganda program office (Kampala) or in the GLRA Regional Office in Ethiopia (Addis Ababa), but assigned to the Regional Office for East-Africa in Addis Ababa. Hence, she/he will report to the Regional Representative and HQ humanitarian aid officer by working in close collaboration with the respective teams of GLRA East-Africa programme office (Yemen, Sudan, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Ethiopia) and different partners.
- Strategic planning, organization, coordination and alignment of the overall activities of humanitarian aid of GLRA East Africa Region.
Job Scope/Main tasks
- Responsible for development of the regional strategy and guidelines for the humanitarian aid projects/activities in East-Africa.
- Responsible for ensuring effective, timely and high quality implementation of the strategy to achieve defined indicators.
- Ensure that the humanitarian aid portfolio adheres to the international humanitarian aid standards (SPHERE) /compliance
- Pro-actively seek and be responsible for new alliances, networking and partnerships in close co-operation with management team of each country, HQ humanitarian aid officer and Regional Representative Represents the organization at relevant humanitarian aidmeetings, platforms and forums.
- Writing of reports, concepts and presentations as well as contributing to knowledge and quality management/quality assurance support.
- Track and report on proposal submissions; assist with impact analysis; the identification of successes and failures as well as dissemination of lessons learned within the region
- Provide guidance to other program staff on linking relief, recovery, and development.
- Provide support to capacity building needs to staff and partners for key humanitarian standards.
- Work closely with the Humanitarian Reform Process consortium providing advice and support to the program offices.
Required Qualification& Experience:
- University degree (Master level) in humanitarian aid, medicine, public health or other relevant area
- Humanitarian aid expertise in the sectors of health, infectious diseases (NTDs and TB advantageous), disability, inclusive programmes, WASH, nutrition and/or livelihood
- Experience in project management in conflict regions or disaster areas.
- Experience with the German (federal foreign office) or European humanitarian aid sector (such as ECHO) or foundations is a great advantage and experience of working in a team as well as managing a team.
- Knowledge of different Humanitarian Standards like Sphere, CHS, NGO/Red Cross code of conduct, the people in Aid Code, and other regulatory codes.
- Previous work experience in National and/or International Non-governmental organization is an advantage
- Excellent working knowledge of English; desirable knowledge of other regional languages such as French, Kiswahili or Arabic
- Good user knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Very good experience in networking and partner engagement.
- Willingness to undertake project visits to politically unstable countries, remote and difficult to reach areas
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills
- Intercultural competence as well as sensitivity in dealing with the target population (e.g. gender and disability sensitivity)
- Willingness to adhere to DAHW’s safeguarding and related policies
- Flexible, reliable, culturally sensitive, positive attitude, ability to work under pressure, and a feel for the way GLRA-EARO operates and its target groups.
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the disaster management field
- Practical Knowledge & experience in coordination, the capacity building program, consortium projects, budget management, partnership approach and concept note development for funding.
- Strong planning, monitoring, and organizational skills with good knowledge of the use of logical and result-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their application/motivation a letter, updated CV and copies of credential and supporting documents and contact details of three references including their email addresses and phone numbers from previous employers, through Email:firstname.lastname@example.org until January 27, 2020, before 5:00 PM. Please, kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.