United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD)
Deadline of this Job:
31st of July 2018
The United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD) was founded in 1971 as an
instrument to help achieve the strategy for the Second United Nations Development Decade.
Created by an agreement between the UN and the Government of Japan, its operations are
supported by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN/DESA).
UNCRD’s vision is to achieve sustainable living environment for all. Its mission is to assist developing
countries in their efforts to achieve sustainable development. Regional development planning and
management is an effective set of tools that UNCRD is prioritizing to realize its vision and mission
through guiding subnational, national and international actions to reduce the social, economic and
environmental disparities within a region or among different regions.
The UNCRD in affiliation with other UN agencies presently require the services of resourceful,
experienced and dynamic candidates at various UN DUTY STATIONS in Geneva, Copenhagen,
Jerusalem, Beijing, New York, Santiago and Hong Kong for the following positions listed below:
Posting Title: Human Resources Officer, P4
Job Code Title: HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
Duty Station: MULTIPLE
Within delegated authority, the Human Resources Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides advice and support to managers and staff on human resources related matters.
- Prepares special reports and participates and/or leads special human resources projects.
- Keeps abreast of developments in various areas of human resources.
- Coordinates with client offices in identifying upcoming vacancies.
- Prepares vacancy announcements, reviews applications, and provides a short-list to clients'
- Reviews recommendations on the selection of candidates by client offices.
- Prepares and presents cases to appointment and promotion bodies.
- Serves as ex-officio in examinations boards.
- Monitors the work of the Human Resources Assistants in carrying out all human resources
administrative transactions including preparation of personnel actions, maintenance of staffing
tables, and processing of contracts.
- Supervises the maintenance of the human resources filing system.
- Organizes and coordinates the UN Internship Programme.
Administration of Entitlements:
- Submits requests for transactions to headquarters deployment group (HDG).
- Administers and provides advice on salary and related benefits, travel, and social security
- Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules. Reviews
and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulations and rules.
- Reviews the applications for internship programmes; handles correspondence with
Staff Development and Career Support:
- Provides advice on mobility and career development to staff, particularly young
professionals and staff in the General Service and related categories.
- Designs, plans, monitors and provides induction orientation programme and briefing to new
- Provides performance management advice to staff and management. Assists supervisors
and staff with understanding and using the performance appraisal system (PAS).
- Advises and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and
difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
- Prepares classification analysis of jobs in Professional and General Service and related
- Provides guidance to programme managers on the application of classification policies and
procedures and by undertaking whole office review.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Professionalism: Knowledge of human resources policies, practices and procedures and ability to
apply them in an organizational setting. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make
conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates
professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting
commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than
personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains
calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring
the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies
priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of
time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to
see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with
clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate
solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep
informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets
timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in human resources
management, business or public administration, social sciences, education or related field is
required. A first level degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may
be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management,administration or related area is required. Experience with web-based recruitment platforms, such as Inspira (peoplesoft/oracle), is required. Experience processing personnel transactions in an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, such as Umoja (SAP), is desirable. Experience managing staffing tables using IT platforms such as Nova/Nucleus is desirable. Experience providing client
service to a diverse workforce is desirable. Experience in an Executive Office is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Job application procedure
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in
any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the
United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).
This is an online recruitment process, applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, and work experience. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening
Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subjected to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application. Interested and qualified applicants should send their detailed Resumes/Cvs to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 31st of July 2018.