Closing date: 07 Jan 2019
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 191 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”) is the world’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The overall aim of the IFRC is” to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises. The Federation is served by a Secretariat based in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world. The Secretariat is led by the IFRC Secretary General and provides the central capacity of the International Federation to serve, connect, and represent National Societies. The Secretariat’s focus includes providing support to the IFRC governance mechanisms; setting norms and standards; providing guidance; ensuring consistency; coordination and accountability for performance; knowledge sharing; promoting collaboration within and respect for the RCRC Movement; and expanding engagement with partners. The Secretariat’s headquarters is organized in three main business groups: (i) Partnerships, including Movement and Membership; (ii) Programs and Operations; and (iii) Management. The Secretariat has five regional office, as follows: Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia/Pacific (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa (Beirut). The position is located in Nairobi, Kenya at the secretariat’s regional headquarters. Frequent travel is required.
Reporting to Deputy Regional Director, the Partnerships and Resource Development Head of Unit, (PRD HoU), supports the implementation of the IFRC Africa Road Map 2017 – 2020, the Federation Wide Resource Mobilization Strategy and the country, cluster and regional plans to raise funds, mobilize support for National Societies and build the capacity to fundraise among African National Societies. He/She is a member of the Africa Region management team, working within agreed strategic priorities, fully involved in the region’s long term and annual planning/budgeting process, and, in the case of disasters, is a member of any task forces convened by the region office.
He/She identifies, develops and coordinates resource mobilization opportunities for National Societies (NS) and IFRC secretariat programmes, ensuring a Federation-wide RM approach in mobilizing funds for long term programmes of National Societies, as well as for disasters. He/she works to increase the funding coverage for all programs and proposes fundraising targets for operations and offices. The PRD HoU works closely with various functions of regional office to ensure appropriate strategy and tactics in the identification, cultivation and approach to fundraising leads.
The PRD HoU will ensure relevant support, tracking and analysis and advise in the development and implementation of annual funding plans and outreach, maintain existing relationship with Red Cross Red Crescent Movement partners and build new partnerships with multilateral institutions and the private sector. Given current funding challenges and a diminishing market from partner NS, the HoU will provide systematic analysis and propose solutions to donor retention.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Partnerships and Relations Management -
Works with other units in the Africa Region office, IFRC cluster and country offices, and with National Societies and the Geneva Secretariat, to monitor publications, RFP announcements, cross-reference opportunities with identified fundraising leads, lead outreach to, analysis of, and relationship building with current and prospective partners, including but not limited to:
- Partner National Societies (multilateral and bilateral)
- Governments (always in cooperation with respective partner National Societies).
- Government agencies, such as the European Union, US Government, DFID, etc.
- Multilateral organizations, including Global Fund, Green Climate Fund, GAVI.
- Development Banks, including the African Development Bank, Islamic Development Bank, World Bank, etc.
- African Institutions including African Union and its regional economic commissions, IGAD, etc.
- Private sector
- Foundations - locally oriented and internationally oriented
Knowledge management and strategy development
- Proactively identify, research and propose strategies and tactics for partnership development and fundraising.
- Stay current and inform colleagues and African NS on innovative finance strategies and trends in resource mobilization.
- Contribute to, leverage and expand the use of the secretariat’s Customer Relations System (CRM) and other information management and data tools to perform market research and analysis of donor trends
- Contribute to performance management and business intelligence by monitoring leads, proposals, contacts, wins and losses among proposals, and most importantly, to identify unit-specific key performance indicators.
Assess and disseminate information and analysis of country, cluster and regional plan progress and advise corrective action.
Work closely with Operations and Communications to provide analysis and strategic advice about the timing, messaging and targeting of outreach for fundraising purposes on emergency appeals and long-term development programs.
Contribute and lead as needed the design outreach/publicity material geared towards partners and donors.
Work with units in the Africa Region office as well as cluster and country offices to develop funding plans for all IFRC emergency appeals and long-term plans,
Establish tracking sheets to track all incoming funding, including in-kind and bilateral support to appeals and programs.
Maintain an overview of the funding situation of all current annual plans and emergency appeals in Africa Region, continuously identifying gaps in funding and funding priorities.
Cultivate and secure opportunities with donors; work closely with technical and office leads to develop full proposals and draft concept notes.
Capacity building of National Societies in resource mobilization:
- Provides support, expertise and tools to African National Societies in developing their capacities in domestic fundraising, so that each National Society can maximise its funding opportunities, through different funding streams, including government, multilateral and private funding (individual giving, including high net worth individuals, corporate and foundations).
- Facilitate knowledge sharing of RM expertise amongst African National Societies, including experience of good practice in partnership and relationship management, linking National Society to establish an Africa region fundraising network and to facilitate links with other region fundraising networks.
- Coordinate training and the provision of expertise and tools to country and cluster offices as well as National Societies in the region, to enable them to develop fundraising strategies and domestic fundraising programs in particular.
Resource mobilization for emergency appeals and operational plans
- Take the lead in coordination of fundraising and resource mobilization activities for the region and support of country and cluster offices, including tracking for all pledges of funding, and taking part in task forces when convened
- Work with the PRD team in coordination of resource mobilization including partner/donor outreach, ensuing regular sharing of information with partners, and ensuring that funding information is kept up to date on CRM.
- Promote domestic fundraising of emergency appeals through aggressive marketing and dissemination, advice and support to NS and country and cluster offices
- Perform donor outreach and technical support to country and cluster offices
- Ensure dissemination of marketing materials, good quality proposals and grants management.
Management and Coordination - He/She technically supervises all Africa region RM officers, to ensure that various donor stewardship activities are undertaken in a timely way, including the following activity.
Pledge management, including efficient processing of all pledges for Africa appeals/plans according to established guidelines.
Grant management, including guidance and support to all offices what receive grants
Manage staff/delegates as required, ensuring compliance with all policy, procedure and expectations, providing quality assurance and accountability.
Serve as the IFRC’s representative and focal point in donor outreach, working closely with communications and regional leadership team.
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the IFRC Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager Education
University degree in relevant discipline (ex. g. International Relations, Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Economics, Finance) (Required)
Relevant professional training courses (Red Cross/Red Crescent related, humanitarian and development sector, management) (Preferred)
- At least 10 years working experience out if which 3 years relevant experience in managing relations with donors and partners
- Knowledge of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
- Experience of development and implementation of funding plans
- Experience writing concept notes and winning proposals to multilateral and/or government donors.
- Experience identifying and cultivating funding leads
- Experience representing an organization and pitching programs and proposals
- Experience managing and or using donor-related data to develop a fundraising strategy
- Experience asking for funds for humanitarian and development programs
- Experience performing market analysis for fundraising
- Experience working with innovative finance or social enterprises
- Experience working with development banks
- Experience designing, leading or participating in domestic fundraising programs, including event-based fundraising, individual giving, approaches to high-net-worth individuals.
- Work experience with development banks, other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies
Experience of working in Africa region
Knowledge, skills and languages
- Knowledge of development banks and multilateral donors
- Knowledge of and skills in tracking open calls for proposals from key donor institutions
- Expertise in marketing and sales strategies
- Expertise in developing concept notes and proposal writing
- Strong knowledge of information sharing tools
- Excellent English language writer
- Strong knowledge of reporting systems and guidelines
- Highly organised, with ability to work a strong team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills
- Strong budgeting and finance management skills
- Demonstrated skills in analytical and strategic thinking
- Strong writing and editing skills in English
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Knowledge of individual giving programs
- Knowledge of domestic fundraising markets in Africa
- Knowledge and skills in using client relations management software
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and values
Collaboration and Teamwork
Judgement and Decision Making
National Society and Customer Relations
Creativity and Innovation
Please submit your application to IFRCjobs: http://www.ifrc.org/who-we-are/working-with-us/current-vacancies/