Head of Education
City: Phnom Penh
Cambodian Children’s Fund (CCF) transforms the country's most impoverished kids into tomorrow's leaders, by delivering education, family support and community development programs into the heart of Cambodia’s most impoverished communities.
Founded in 2004 by Scott Neeson, CCF provides life-changing education, nourishment, and healing to vulnerable children from some of Cambodia’s most destitute communities. We learned early on that transforming the lives of impoverished children through education isn’t as simple as opening free schools. We needed to do more – we needed to address the issues and dysfunction that kept the children away from the classroom. It’s only by addressing these barriers to education that we could achieve our goals of taking impoverished children and giving them a better, dignified life. Our model was recognized as having “one of the world’s best initiatives in innovative education”, becoming the first organization in South-East Asia to win a WISE Award in 2012.
This renowned NGO cares for more than 2,000 students and 10,000 people annually, providing to entire families and communities in crisis. For the children of the Steung Meanchey area, education is their lifeline out of poverty and CCF offers a solid education aimed at providing hope, opportunity, and security.
Reporting to the Country Manager, the Head of Education leads the development and implementation of CCF’s education strategy to provide the leadership and management necessary to administer and supervise program’s delivery, policies and activities of education programs and schools to ensure high quality educational experiences and services for the students in a safe and enriching environment. The incumbent holds responsibility for the educational direction of the organization, encouraging and developing the use of appropriate methodologies and high standards of teaching practices in all our educational areas.
As a member of Senior Management Team (SMT), s/he will lead a large Education Team and budget management to ensure high-quality deliveries and shared decision making. This will be required to improve and enhance the professional development of teaching staff with state-of-art technology.
Reports to: Country Manager
Key Liaison: Executive Director and SMT members
Manages: Education Management Team, Education Program Staff
External Liaison: Cambodian Ministry of Education Youth and Sports, School Partners
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
CCF is a values based organization where visible care, excellence, teamwork, integrity, leadership, and respect are expected of all staff, and where the staff are accountable for integrating these values into their work and behaviors. The role has a key responsibility to model the organization’s values and to actively promote these values and associated behaviors with CCF.
Education Management :
• Develop educational strategic goals and tailor into an operational plan across CCF facilities (K-12 and through to University) which addresses the issues and barriers specific to disadvantaged children, family situations, and Khmer culture. Set and enforce rigorous standards for student achievement that are in line with the agreed goals;
• Initiate innovative, appropriate and educational programs that address today challenges and surrounding environment to equip students with confidences and resilience;
• Supervise, evaluate, and provide feedback for teachers, support staff and students that focuses instructional andbehaviouralstrategies to improve and/or enhance students' performance.
• Develop and implement an aligned and systematic reporting and accountability framework, assessing the quality and effectiveness of programs, teachers and students, which informs quality assurance and continuous improvement methodologies;
• Initiate and manage research and documentation of best practices that promotes learnings across departments;
• Identify and embed teaching and learning needs into building plans for future and existing educational facilities to ensure a positive learning environment that is both effective and accessible;
• Work conceptually, review programs and initiate appropriate responses to emerging and/or challenging student needs;
• Ensure the education budget are well spent in according to the plan.
Partnership Development :
• Develop strategic engagement with local and international schools and universities to support the exchange programs and promote learnings;
• Strategically engage with local and international Universities for student placement;
• Represent CCF to key local and international universities; development partners, government agencies, inter-government agencies, to promote CCF’s work and visibility;
• Represent CCF externally to ensure our experiences and model are recognized and promoted both local and international level.
Staff management and Leadership :
• Employ a spirit of inquiry when faced with complex issues to determine the best solutions and take accountability for contributing to the overall success of CCF;
• Manage the Education Team, using a structured approach to ensure clear expectations, build skills, motivate and hold staff members accountable;
• Build team members skills and their understanding of and alignment with the CCF Roadmap, ensuring that they see their work as part of the ‘big picture’;
• Lead discussion forums and strategic updates during whole Team Meetings, and facilitate regular Education management meetings to ensure Operational Plan goals are on track;
• Create a culture of excellence, teamwork and collaboration amongst the staff, teachers, students and families.
• Lead the attraction, selection and recruitment of qualified and experienced teaching staff and suitably experienced local and foreign volunteers to support the program;
• Develop teacher and staff capacity to cultivate and sustain meaningful partnerships with families of diverse backgrounds and with community members that support student achievement and student well-being.
• Consult, develop and implement a suite of development, training and supervision programs which support teacher education and professional development.
KEY QUALIFICATION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
• Master of Education or relevant disciplines
• Must possess extensive knowledge of the curriculum and instructional program including content, methodologies, and pedagogy;
• Demonstrated success in increasing student achievement and staff performance;
• Ability to develop and link project metrics to project outcomes and to articulate and promote strong accountability;
• Prior success working in school management and accreditation setting;
• Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
• At least 5-year managerial experience of staff and teams in a reputable education setting demonstrating successes in implementation of strategy and operational plans;
• Demonstrates understanding of contemporary learning approaches, with experience and expertise in the area of promoting and supporting under-served children, K-12 children’s and young children’s learning and development;
• Experience in leading a harmonious and focused team, delivering effective outcomes;
• Prior experiences in a fast-paced global and/or national organization aiming for results and growth;
• Proven track record of achieving results and ability to cope up with multiple priorities and be able to take initiative.
• Strategic planning and Accountability: demonstrated ability to develop and implement aligned structured and highly integrated approaches to the management of all aspects of education which result in visible outcomes;
• Systematic approach: demonstrated ability to develop clear systems and processes to govern work and to engage staff in using these systems effectively. Strong organizational and administration skills critical;
• Conceptual thinking: Able to think and work conceptually, aware of opportunities and able to align and link the team with associated program activities;
• Collegiality: Strategically aligned with organizational goals, with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with local and off-shore colleagues to achieve organizational objectives;
• Excellent Communication skills – ability to communicate effectively with all levels, representing the team and the organization professionally and clearly. Professional approach to liaising with key stakeholders from diverse background and cultures;
• Bilingual English and Khmer highly preferred.
• An energetic self-starter with resilience, fast pace, interpersonal skills; Ability to be flexible in the face of changing priorities while maintaining a sense of humor when dealing with difficult situations.
HOW TO APPLY:
CCF provides successful candidates with a competitive salary based on experience and potential with Friendly Working Environment in respecting to HR policies paralleling to Cambodian Labor Law. The successful candidate will become part of an integrated team working together as ONE CCF.
How to apply
Appropriately skilled, experienced and/or qualified candidates should submit their CV and a letter of application, (Combined into one ‘Word’ document) which responds to the Key Selection Criteria to the Recruitment Coordinator, by email: email@example.com with subject Application for Head of Education by closing date 02 January 2018.
Contact number: 070 666 383
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Job Email id:jobs(at)cambodianchildrensfund.org