Location: Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda with frequent travel to our business locations
Application opening: 31st October 2019
Application deadline: Open
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing asset and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers, and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 27,000 customers.
Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 380+ employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
About the role
With Tugende’s ongoing rapid growth, this creates immense opportunities for further innovation and improvements. As the core business continues to grow, we are entering new products, services, and markets to meet our strategic targets. Hence, the need to implement an ambitious new Marketing and Public Relations (PR) strategy is a key component.
In this role, the incumbent will be entrusted with conducting market research for new products, services, and markets, understanding customers, collecting competitor data and analyzing the competitive landscape, implementing the strategy, managing all brand, tactical, and promotional campaigns, and related activities.
The role encompasses creative, analytical, digital, commercial, and administrative responsibilities with a regional remit.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Design and facilitate the rollout of the annual marketing plan.
- Deploy campaigns and own the implementation from ideation to execution.
- Produce valuable and engaging content for the new website (under development) that attracts and converts the company’s target audiences.
- Produce and manage all marketing collaterals.
- Prepare and manage the marketing budget on a regular basis.
- Build strategic relationships with key industry players, agencies and vendors.
- Manage the full spectrum of company events.
- Conduct research and analyze data to identify and define target market segments.
- Implement the new brand strategy and act as company brand guardian.
- Hire, train, and coach a new professional regional marketing and PR team.
- Update and maintain the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
- Create innovative customer acquisition and retention strategies using non-traditional communication channels such as informal broadcasting, grassroots mobilization etc.
- Develop and implement a professional marcomms strategy.
- Coordinate all PR activities including media inquiries and website media.
- Direct social media team to engage audiences across digital media.
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new ones.
- Standardize style for press releases, articles, and keynote presentations.
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results on a regular basis.
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships, sponsorships and advertising.
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends affecting customers and make recommendations to improve the company's communications plan.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
- Knowledge, experience and skills
- Proven track record designing and executing successful marketing and PR campaigns at both a national and regional level.
- Conversant with website analytics tools e.g. Google analytics, Google adwords, NetInsight, Omniture, WebTrends.
- Numerically literate, comfortable working with numbers, making sense of metrics, and processing figures with spreadsheets.
- A sense of aesthetics and a love for great copy and human-centered communication.
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in digital marketing. Experience with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and similar.
- Events management experience for large groups.
- Ability to build a strong professional network.
- English (fluent), Kiswahili and Luganda (working knowledge).
Qualifications and work experience
- Bachelor's degree (Honors) in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, or similar Social Sciences degree from a reputable university.
- MBA or other Masters Degree in similar Social Sciences degree from a reputable university (preferred).
- Qualified or studying towards a professionally recognized and accredited marketing qualification such as The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) (preferred).
- Minimum of five years of marketing experience with a reputable company, preferably in the financial services, FMCG, hospitality, or telecom sectors, with a regional remit, of which a minimum of three years at General Manager level (or equivalent) managing a team.
- Personal attributes and abilities
- Innovation: develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of the departmental output and Tugende as a company.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions, follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for the departmental success.
- Service excellence: knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external customers’ needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Planning and organizing: develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Interpersonal relationships: knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across departments/units in a constructive and collaborative manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills: understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques, ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience, and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Professionalism and maintaining the Tugende Employer Brand: maintains professionalism in all correspondence and being empathetic and personable.
- Positive attitude: maintains a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seeks direct feedback and sees every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
- Demonstrates team management and leadership.