Reports to: Finance Director
Compensation: Starts modest, commensurate with experience, with significant performance-based raises
Who We Are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas can come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What We Do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda and Uganda. 70% of Ugandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embodied energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished
This role will have full finance oversight for our operations in Uganda where we operate in 2 districts and are rapidly expanding. The controller will handle all of our financial control and reporting processes in Uganda and should have the ability to identify risk exposures and weaknesses in our systems and processes and recommend improvements and appropriate internal controls. The candidate will be an important addition to the Uganda management team: they will head the finance and administrative team in Uganda, working closely with the Uganda Managing Director.
Specific responsibilities of this role include:
● Overseeing bookkeeping and financial close processes for billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, inventory, COGS and revenue recognition
● Overseeing the payroll process
● Maintaining and developing strong internal controls
● Preparing periodic financial reports including variance analyses and statutory financial statements
● Overseeing tax administration in accordance with local laws and regulations
● Provide leadership and supervision of the Uganda head office finance team
● Ongoing supervision and training of district finance officers in basic financial management
● Part or full professional accounting qualification from a recognized accounting body such as CPA, ACCA or equivalent. An undergraduate degree in accounting or finance only will not be sufficient.
● Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a financial accounting or external audit role
● Experience managing a team
● Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
● Strong analytical skills
● Commitment to excellence, outstanding work ethic, and attention to detail
● Fluency in Luganda and/or Lusoga
● Prior experience Quickbooks accounting software
● Prior experience with Salesforce
● Prior experience in the construction industry
To apply, email your resume or CV and cover letter at https://www.earthenable.org/applynow-3/. In your cover letter, please state what excites you most about this role, and you think will be most challenging about it.