POSITION: FINANCE DIRECTOR
Type: Administrative, Country Level
Location: Masindi (1st year), then Kampala
Reports To: Regional Director, East Africa
Direct Reports: Accounting Team
OneWorld Health is an international organization that provides quality, affordable healthcare to people in need. We achieve our mission through the development of facility-based medical programs in East Africa using social enterprise models of development. Through this model we are able to maximize sustainability and scalability while reaching underserved populations on the Continent. As the organization expands within Uganda and East Africa, increased efficiency, effectiveness, and accountability across our financial systems is vital.
The Finance Director is a country level position reporting to the East Africa Regional Director, overseeing all financial processes for OneWorld Health in Uganda. This position will plan, execute, and evaluate all activities related to financial management in Uganda, strengthening financial policy and processes, enforcing compliance, and supporting the Regional Director to strategically guide the organization to achieve its goals.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Result 1: Oversee all financial processes for the OneWorld Health in Uganda
- Lead the budgeting process: Develop, review, finalize, and oversee budgets that represent and align with organizational objectives and programmatic activities
- Regularly review the accounts of all medical and administrative facilities to ensure financial transactions have been entered correctly and on a timely basis, making adjustments as needed to ensure the integrity of the financial statements at all times.
- Support the procurement process to ensure the organization is working with approved vendors and receiving value for money
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations of all bank accounts and periodic counts of Cash Accounts
- Coordinate payroll processing for the organization, ensuring that statutory deductions (PAYE, NSSF, and Local Service Tax) are reported and paid on a timely basis and in accordance with statutory regulations
- Coordinate and reconcile employee savings plan with outside financial institution and employee payroll records
- Respond to informational requests from the Regional Director and be the main point of contact for all financial information
Key Result 2: Strengthen and enforce financial policies within the organization.
- Develop and document accounting and financial policies and procedures to ensure processes are efficient, the risk of fraud and error are minimized, and that accurate and complete financial statements are generated on a timely basis. Policies and procedures must incorporate an appropriate level of internal control to ensure USAID regulations and requirements are observed.
- For internal audits, develop checklists to conduct monthly reviews to ensure balances in QuickBooks are correct and properly supported and that accounting practice complies with the organization’s policies and procedures.
Key Result 3: Oversee national compliance with financial and organization regulations in Uganda
- Ensure Withholding Tax is processed correctly, and Income Tax returns are submitted on time and in agreement with the audited financial statements
- Maintain accounting records to ensure a proper audit trail and that documents are securely stored in compliance with Ugandan regulations
- Oversee the external audit process, providing detailed working papers to support the auditors, and reviewing the draft audited statements to ensure all details are correct.
- Maintain proper insurance for all OneWorld Health assets and staff.
- Ensure the organization is in compliance with Ugandan registration requirements for foreign NGOs.
Key Result 4: Provided financial reports in line with national, organizational, and donor needs
- Develop and produce reporting protocols to provide weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports that monitor budget to actual activities
- Prepare and review annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly cash flow reports and forecasts.
- Develop, monitor and report on grant fund accounting in line with donor requirements. (USAID grant management in particular)
- Provide technical and financial inputs to support grant proposals
Key Result 5: Train, coach, and manage the “financial team” in Uganda
- Supervise, train and appraise all accounting staff
- Provide support and maintain a competent and motivated team through constructive feedback, coaching and mentoring.
- A Bachelor’s (honors) degree in Commerce, Accounting or Finance
- A Master’s degree in Financial Management, Accounting, Economics or a related field from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in similar or higher position with at least 3 years in a Non-Government Organization. USAID grant accounting experience preferable.
- A professional qualification in Finance or Accounting (CPA/ACCA)
- Excellent computer skills. As a minimum, this would include an advanced understanding of Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks Online. Point of Sale platforms and other financial software are highly desired.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- A team player with excellent inter-personal and communication skills
- A good command of both written and spoken English
- Diligent and detail oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent management skills
- Patient and encouraging; able to build and develop capacity of others
HOW TO APPLY
For Applications, please submit your CV (curriculum vitae) and a cover letter to Barak Bruerd at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line "Finance Director Application". The position is open until filled, and shortlisted applicants will be contacted for further interviews and assessments within two weeks of submitting an application. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only be responding to shortlisted candidates.