Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Operating in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has field offices in Kitgum, Gulu, Kotido, Moroto, Arua, Yumbe, Amudat and Kaabong and implements programs that cover a wide variety of program sectors including food security, health/nutrition, water/sanitation, peace building, youth, agriculture, and econ development.
Mercy Corps has been present in Uganda since 2006, focusing its interventions on economic and agricultural development, maternal child health and nutrition, governance, conflict management and humanitarian response. In 2017, Mercy Corps had an impact on almost 1 million beneficiaries in Uganda through our work focusing on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of Finance Manager, the Finance Coordinator is responsible for all Karamoja region field offices finance, compliance, budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others, etc. He/she is responsible for review of all field transactions, regular field visits and audit, supervising and coaching all field finance officers, monitor field cash projections and cash management, updating and tracking all assets and finance files. He/she is responsible to make sure that all AAM, segregation of duties and policies and procedures are respected as per the FFM, procurement manual, assets mgt and other manuals/policies and procedures. Make sure all field transactions are reviewed and processed on time.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Responsible for all accounting and financial management of all MC Uganda Karamoja region field offices.
• Responsible for monitoring costs as per the available grant and budget details, monthly budgets vs actual reports and monthly cash projections.
• Review and update BVA for pipeline, discuss and train program directors, managers and others at their respective field offices.
• Receive all field transactions and documents weekly, review with documents and in navigator before forwarding for posting. Follow up and ensure weekly posting.
• Review all field transaction to make sure all transactions are properly approved, reviewed, coded, recorded and documented.
• Provide financial review for advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, expense reports, payment requests and other field transactions within his/her limit.
• Lead cash flow projection process and submit to Kampala office on a timely manner.
• Coordinate and prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for all field offices, submit and make sure sufficient cash is available in all offices and monitor its use. Make sure also there is no excess cash.
• Make sure surprise, weekly and monthly cash counts are being made and documented for all offices as per the current MC policy.
• Make sure all cash, bank and advances are reconciled with cash counts, bank statements and outstanding advances and ledger.
• Make sure all field level income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
• Provide planned technical support, back stopping, coaching and training to all field finance staff in Karamoja. Provide support to all offices by roving on need basis or on regular visit basis.
• Directly supervise all field finance officers in Karamoja and make sure all delivering all required performances as per the deadlines.
• Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
• Implement and make sure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets management, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
• Implement and Make sure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected.
• Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Ugandan and US laws and standard accounting practice.
• Provide on-going orientation, training and support to all Mercy Corps program and finance staff on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
• Review and track all purchases and contracts and other commitments for MC field offices in Karamoja.
• Do periodic review of systems and polices and make recommendation for policy and systems change.
• Participate in preparation of operating and grant budgets when required.
• Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
• Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
• Assist other finance functions and offices when ever need arises.
• Any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
ETHICS AND INTEGRITY:
• All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required. Professional qualification like ACCA or CPA is preferred.
• 5+years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting and 2+year’s supervisory experience.
• Strong management Skills, Technical & Supervisory Skills and experience required.
• Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
• Strong knowledge of, and experience in donor regulations, and management of sub grants required.
• Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
• International NGO/PVO experience required.
• Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
• Excellent oral and written English skills
• Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites within Karamoja Region approximately 35%
How to Apply
Submit your application through email to email@example.com addressed to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Tuesday, 22nd January, 2019. Subject of email should include the position you are applying for. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.