Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is a US non-profit research organization that seeks to improve the understanding of how people living in poverty make decisions and to leverage that knowledge to produce better social outcomes. We do have offices in Kenya, a new office in Uganda, and active projects in Tanzania, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and Ghana. It enables researchers to conduct rigorous laboratory-based studies in behavioural economics in a developing country and applying the outcomes of research to real-world problems.
The Field Officers will support both the advisory and research arms of Busara by serving as the primary data collection team, collecting qualitative, quantitative and administrative data. The Field Officers will be expected to be able to understand a research instrument and be able to efficiently and effectively collect data to address the core research question. In addition, Field Officers are expected to have first-hand knowledge of their project population and be able to raise any potential challenges to data collection or data quality to supervisors on Project or Project Operations teams. Additionally, Field Officers should have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Field Officers report to Project Leads on project-based activities and to Project Operations Managers for all other responsibilities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
The Field Officers will work closely with Projects and Operations teams to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Assist and conduct field experiments following a strict field protocol
- Collect data to the highest degree in accordance to the data collection protocols.
- Maintain the confidentiality and dignity of all project participants
- Transcriptions of data
- Translations and back-translations
- Timely completion of work assigned.
- Provide detailed notes on data collection activities, promptly raising issues and concerns to Senior Field Officers and Project Leads.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project supervisor.
Core organizational responsibilities:
- In addition to project responsibilities, Field Officers also have the following organizational responsibilities to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Communicate across organizational teams to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Assist with internal initiatives where necessary.
- Serve on internal committees when necessary
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
How to Apply
- The applicants should at least hold a diploma or degree in any social sciences discipline
- Previous experience in data collection activities i.e. respondent recruitment/mobilization, respondent interviewing.
- Should be living in Kitgum(Uganda).
- Ability to speak the local language of Kitgum.
- Good in both written and spoken English and Acholi.
- Previous experience of using tablets or mobiles for data collection
- Willingness to take up a short term contract (9 weeks).
- Keen attention to detail
- Be open to try new things and learn
- Be able to stay calm in high pressure situations
- Be proactive and ready to problem-solve
All applicants should send an updated CV and Diploma or Degree certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure that the subject line of the e-mail reads: “FIELD OFFICER, KITGUM: REF NO: BU-2018-03-29”.
NB: Only online applications shall be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.