The Uganda Biodiversity Fund (UBF) is an independent Institution, ‘a Trust Fund’ established as a mechanism to provide sustainable financing for the conservation of priority biodiversity and ecosystem services in Uganda. The mission of UBF is: “to serve as a catalyst for mobilizing, managing and channeling financial resources for biodiversity conservation and sustainable use of natural resources in Uganda for the benefit of current and future generations and the intrinsic value of nature”. UBF has been implementing programmatic and management activities, and undertaking financial transactions through 2017.
Job Summary: The Corporate Engagement and Communications Officer will have the responsibility for planning, developing and implementing communication strategies to promote UBF’s mission. This hire will also be responsible for developing partnerships with other relevant organizations for funding and to disseminate information and create awareness about conservation issues and UBF’s programs and activities
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Program communications for advocacy and awareness
- The Communications Officer will work closely with the UBF’s Programming Unit to ensure that relevant program materials such as Human Interest Stories, donor reports, proposals, factsheets, info graphs etc. are developed and disseminated to donors and target groups through relevant media and network channels.
- The Communications Officer will assist UBF program officers in the proposal development stage to identify appropriate communication activities for the projects.
Media relations: Ensure that UBF has a well-maintained and continually developed contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the story of UBF’s work and environmental issues to a wider audience.
- Develop, maintain and update media relations contact list/database.
- Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, NGOs, and other appropriate audiences.
- Draft and edit articles, press releases, human-interest stories and other advocacy/information materials.
- Ensure or enhance the quality and appropriateness of country specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages transmitted to the press, partners and public.
- Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials and share results and findings.
- Maintain UBF’s website and social media sites (Facebook and Twitter) with daily monitoring, posting and content development.
UBF brand and external communications
- Ensure timely and quality production of advocacy and branding materials such as periodicals, annual and donor reports, supplements, calendars, briefing notes, Human Interest Stories, picture stories, videos, etc.
- Develop and archive communication materials (digital, press releases, web resources,
- Assist in organizing and generating public support for special events and campaigns to promote strategic conservation goals.
- Develop and maintain an updated list of UBF’s donors and special interest groups. Assist in developing donor visit schedules/brochures and support with preparation of background materials, briefs and information kits for visiting donors and high profile guests/visitors.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure that communication baselines are established against which the achievement of objectives of the communication strategy are regularly evaluated; analysis is undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy, approach and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared on a timely basis.
Pre-positioning and partnering
- Provide comprehensive mapping of for priority donors, their funding priorities and UBF’s eligibility and position to approach them;
- Build and maintain relationships with key donor contacts where the opportunity exists and support other UBF staff develop their appropriate donor engagement strategies
Bid analysis and development
- Support UBF colleagues to review and assess donor opportunities by providing funding briefings on individual opportunities (and updating as appropriate);
- Create internal bid matrix to facilitate internal bid / no bid decisions around key eligibility and competitiveness criteria;
- Act as a member of UBF bid teams to ensure donor expectations, interests and requirements are properly considered; review & evaluate bids prior to submission to ensure donor compliance.
- When required, act as proposal writer, proposal lead or donor reviewer for specific bids
- Any other roles as assigned by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field.
- A minimum of five years of related work experience;
- Demonstrated and extensive social media experience is an added advantage.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency are required;
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office.
How to Apply
All candidates should send their applications to The Executive Director via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or hand deliver to our office; Uganda Biodiversity Fund, Plot 16-18 Wampewo Avenue, Nyonyi Gardens, Kololo P.O Box 26156, Kampala.
Deadline: 14th December 2018 by 3:00 PM.