Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
About USAID Project:
With support from IFRC, URCS has secured funding support from USAID to implements nationwide community epidemic and pandemic preparedness (CP3) program. This program is to ensure that communities are at the center of epidemic and pandemic preparedness and play a significant role using the all-hazard, whole-of-society approach to build the capacity and skill of communities, civil society organizations (CSO), to support and complement government health emergencies preparedness strategies and localizing United Nations’ (UN) initiatives aimed at meeting obligations under Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) and the International Health Regulation(IHR).
Job Summary: The Community Based Surveillance (CBS) Officer for CP3 program will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Branch in development of work plans, budgets and monitoring plans for the implementation of CP3- program in the communities;
- Supervising the implementation of the epidemic and pandemic preparedness program in the branch/communities;
- Supporting the implementation of an all-of-society, all-hazard approach to epidemic and pandemic risk mitigation in the branch/communities;
- Collaborating with branch management, volunteers and stakeholders in support of improved management of health emergencies in communities;
- Coordinate and link CP3 program implementation between the branch and headquarters line departments.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Tasked with the implementation of CBS for disease outbreak in the branch and selected communities of implementation CP3 in line program work plans;
- Ensure that surveillance guidelines, protocols and monitoring systems are adhered to by the volunteers for efficient data collection, correlation, analysis, interpretation for timely reporting and dissemination of information/alerts on disease out brakes;
- Work closely with branch manager, volunteers and communities to formulate functional health emergency response teams for early warning for epidemic and pandemic- prone communities in the branch for early detection and response to potential hazards to infectious human and Zoonotic diseases;
- Provide technical support to build capacity of branch volunteers and communities for preparedness for early detection and early action to mitigate impact epidemic and pandemic outbreaks;
- Work with ‘One Health initiative to build synergies in the branch and communities to ensure that CBS and health information systems for epidemic and pandemics preparedness interventions for both environmental and animal sectors are harmonized;
- Support the branch and communities in emergency preparedness initiatives and contingency planning to respond to disasters and others health emergencies;
- Work with civil society, the media and health facilities in the catchment area to institute mechanism for disease outbreak surveillance.
- Prepare periodic activity reports- weekly, monthly, quarterly in line with program work plan and donor requirements;
- Perform any other incident-specific duties assigned to you, as may be required by the functional supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) Officer – Community Based Surveillance – CP3 Program job opportunity should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Human Medicine and surgery or Veterinary Medicine/Science from a reputable institution;
- Post Graduate qualification in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health information Management systems or public management of communicable diseases will be an added advantage;
- At least two years of related experience, at the regional level in implementation of public health surveillance, outbreak investigation and response.
- Previous experience in implementation of Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) is a plus;
- Working experience at field level with recognized Organization with expertise in health and emergencies response;
- Experience in implementation of projects in mult-stakeholders environment.
- Broad knowledge and skills in database collection and management.
- Proven ability to multi-task across various planning and implementation processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge, competency and professional skills on the public health aspects of infectious disease control, epidemic and pandemic preparedness and response.
- Analytical Skills
- Data analysis and reporting skills
- Public speaking and presentation
- Budgeting and budgetary control
- Networking, alliance building and stakeholder management.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Project planning and management skills
- Team building and management skills
How to Apply
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: email@example.com or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 22nd January 2018 by 5:00pm