Reports to: Senior Analysis Advisor
The National Information Platform for Nutrition (NIPN) is an initiative of Government of Uganda and the European Commission supported by the United Kingdom Department for International Development and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation being implemented in selected countries including Uganda. Therefore, the Delegation of the European Union in Uganda has funded a project to establish a Uganda National Information Platform for Nutrition (NIPN). The initiative aims to strengthen National capacity to make better use of existing information and data to inform policies, programmes and interventions in all sectors that could contribute to better nutrition for the Ugandan population. This process requires analysis of current policies and programmes to identify issues; a systematic review of existing information both Internationally and Nationally on the issue identified; and, when useful, the analysis of existing data from Uganda to shed light on nutrition. The project is being implemented by the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) in partnership with the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), and in collaboration with all the sectors involved in the Uganda Nutrition Action Plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Communications Officer will be responsible for the development and implementation of a communication and visibility plan for the NIPN; development of outputs in suitable formats and ensuring output dissemination
- Develop and produce of communication tools about the project; and for helping analysis and policy staff to communicate the results of their analysis to different audiences depending on their needs and background.
- Work with the senior policy analysis advisors and with technical staff from Ministries, Departments and Agencies to write the documents and outputs required.
- Support the implementation of the communication strategy of the Uganda Nutrition Action Plan
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold an advanced Degree (Masters) in Mass Communication, Public Relations or Journalism. Must have evidence of writing and publishing
- Five years of experience of successful professional experience as a communications officer, with a specialist interest in science, food security and nutrition, agriculture or health is useful.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Experience of writing about complex technical matters in simple and clear language, driven by the need for comprehension
- Ability to work in a team and to establish or engage with communications networks
- Excellent organisational skills, rigorous attention to detail and an ability to work autonomously. An ability to work in a stressful environment and to meet strict deadline
- A good knowledge of the most common software used in the design of communication materials
- A good knowledge of software to prepare presentations.
- Examples of documents written should be provided with the application.
How to Apply
Application to be accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, copies of certificates and academic transcripts, at least two competent referees, one of whom MUST be from your current or previous employer, passport photo, contacts both Mobile and Email, should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary,
Office of the Prime Minister New Government,
Block Plot 9-11 Apollo Kaggwa Road,
P.O. Box 341, Kampala.
The application forms should be delivered at the Human Resource Office 3rd Floor, Office of the Prime Minister .
Note: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Any form of canvassing shall automatically lead to disqualification of a candidate.
Deadline: 19th November 2018