The Institute for Social Transformation (IST) is a non-governmental organization that promotes a more just and inclusive approach to development in Eastern Africa. IST’s thematic focus areas are transformative leadership and learning, and transformational gender relations and economic empowerment. The Institute does training of individuals, institutions, and communities to enable them to initiate, and sustain change processes. Local knowledge and experience on the root causes of poverty, gender inequality and poor leadership play a key role in providing information on actions to be undertaken. Our work is based on the philosophy of Paulo Freire. The essence of the approach centers on the ability of groups and individuals to read their reality from the perspective of the root causes of their problems and then to take control to change their lives for the better.
Job Summary: The Communications Intern should be a tech-savvy, creative, and globally minded communications officer to join our growing organization’s team. Previous experience in online communications at an organization and take part in amplifying women’s and youth voices and power in promoting Gender equality across the globe.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Communications Intern will take the lead in online content creation and social media management.
- Manage the development and implementation of Communication strategy; social media strategy, including the development, curation, and nearly around-the-clock posting of engaging, thoughtful, and powerful content on our social media channels (currently Facebook, Twitter and YouTube).
- The incumbent will also contribute to content development for our website, development of quarterly newsletter. Your role will include maintaining and strengthening our web interactions with partners, donors, community members, and the broader public. You would also help us grow our audience, strengthen our engagement with them and think through new strategies and next steps.
- In this role, you would be able to work both remotely and physically present at events in collaboration with the team, and sometimes field travels.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Fluent in social media and online content creation; comfortable with diverse analytic and aggregation platforms; has basic graphic design skills.
- Good writing skills
- Keen interest in women’s rights, social justice and related issues.
- Collaborative and able to work dynamically and diligently without direct supervision
- Results-oriented, interesting in learning and recommending new approaches or tech solutions.
- Women and PWDs are encouraged to apply.
- Age: 26 years and below
How to Apply
All candidates should email their applications to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org