The Communications and Knowledge Management Officer will be based in Kampala and will support the senior management to make sure that Alive Medical Services is able to capture and share its wide scope of work with a local and international audience. The Officer will also work to extend the audience that Alive Medical Services reaches.
The Communications and Knowledge Management Officer will collaborate with the leadership team to ensure that the organization communicates information effectively in as many ways as possible, to successfully reach all audiences.
- Lead all organizational communication campaigns, including social media, email, and print
- Work with Alive Medical Services senior management to identify new audiences at the national, regional, and international level and create effective communication materials to engage these audiences
- Develop and update engaging web-based communications, including updating the website, keeping the blog current, providing a range of content on social media, and developing compelling email campaigns
- Write compelling case studies, success stories, and project narratives that highlight the work done at the clinic
- Write project briefs that highlight Alive Medical Services’ unique and diverse projects
- Assist with building capacity of Alive Medical Services staff in this area
- Work with the Partnership Development and Resource Mobilization Officer to support fundraising efforts
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public health, or related field
- Minimum two years of experience in communications, including writing compelling stories and articles*
- Professional experience managing web-based communication platforms: social media, blogs, or websites*
- Experience engaging with and writing for a range of audiences, including governments and policy makers, multilateral agencies, and the general public (national and international)*
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including excellent oral and written communication skills*
- Significant knowledge of the global HIV/AIDS field
- Design and publication skills desirable especially interfacing with the Adobe Creative Suite’s InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Photography and/or videography skills
- Strong initiative and the ability to think creatively
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to manage time and prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Good at networking and relationship building
- Integrity, resilience, and flexibility
Alive Medical Services is a community-based clinic located in Namuwongo, Kampala, providing comprehensive services to children, young people, and families living with and affected by HIV. The clinic’s growth from its humble beginnings with six clients a decade ago, to its current work serving over 13,000 clients, is proof that the need for quality HIV care continues in Uganda. Operating 24 hours a day, seven days per week, the clinic stands as a beacon of hope for residents of Namuwongo - and far beyond.
Employees enjoy a family like work environment where they engage in team building activities that sometimes use timeless biblical principles to instill team values.
Alive Medical Services is deeply rooted in the community and has gained their trust because of the respect and love the staff show to each and every person that comes through the clinic’s doors. The clinic has a wide range of services, including HIV testing and counseling, anti-retroviral therapy, prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections, psychosocial support and counseling, family planning, early infant HIV diagnosis, and other lab tests. This is all possible with a dedicated staff, volunteers, and a state of the art facility, which includes an in-house lab and separate youth wing.