Closing date: 18 Jan 2019
Job Title: Cluster Manager
Reports To: Program Director
Contract Period: One year (renewable)
Deadline for applications: 18th January 2019
VALUES, VISION, AND PURPOSE
At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision, and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
POSITION IN THE ORGANSIATION.
The Cluster Manager is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Program Director. He /She manages a team of between 3-8 employees directly. The Cluster Manager provides leadership to all staff within the cluster comprising of 8-50 employees and supervises all technical aspects within the assigned sector.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Cluster Manager has the responsibility for managing program planning and implementation, management of personnel, M&E and finance management within the cluster ensuring the integration of all sectors and the transformational development of churches, leaders and families. The Cluster Manager is part of a management structure that represents the program to the local government structure and community structures and is expected to ensure that FH Kenya increasingly achieves community transformation through quality assurance in project implementation and applying the organization’s Heartbeat (Values, Vision and Purpose) as well as coordination of efforts at cluster level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Percentages are approximate and other duties may be assigned).
Key Result #1 – Program Planning and Management (40%)
- Take lead in conducting situation need assessments in the program/cluster areas and designs appropriate intervention plans in line with the country strategic plans
- Take lead and support in proposal writing, reporting and fund raising for humanitarian work in program/cluster areas.
- Lead the yearly, quarterly and monthly planning process for all projects in the area/cluster and share the developed plan with the Program Director and Finance Manager
- Lead the implementation process on a daily basis and report any discrepancies observed in the program implementation timely to the Program Director.
- Promote collaborative working relationships between stakeholders and the operational projects and to ensure maximum synergy within the program/cluster area for maximum impact, influence and scale up of the program
- Plan and conduct regular field visits to assess the implementation of activities
Key Result #2 – Documentation, Reporting and M&E (20%)
- In close liaison with the area/cluster teams, ensure that periodic progress reports (quarterly, bi-annual and annual) for different projects in the area/cluster are prepared and submitted within agreed reporting timelines and in accordance with the established donor and organizational formats
- In close collaboration with M&E Manager and other program staff ensure that M&E processes are undertaken and feedback is continuously incorporated into program implementation
- Ensure proper documentation of program activities and best practices
- Conduct monthly program staff meeting for better integration and smooth program implementation within the program/cluster area
Key Result #3 – Financial and Human Resource Management (30%)
- Ensure effective and efficient financial management and accounting for all income and expenditures pertaining to the program/cluster.
- Support the administrative function in safeguarding FH’s property, including land, buildings, vehicles and others to ensure they are well maintained and protected from risk
- Develop financial budgets and budget revisions that are in tandem with program activities and ensure that the monthly budget utilization is as per the cash flow and planned activities
- Ensure /oversee the preparation of annual cash flow projections and manage the quarterly cash requests based on planned and approved activities and within the financial management procedures
- Ensure monthly financial reports are prepared and submitted and follow donor and FH finance guidelines
- Collaboratively work with the finance department to ensure smooth monitoring of project budget.
- Lead and manage staff ensuring clarity over strategy, plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events.
- Provide management support to direct reports in their management of others, and their implementation of objectives, work plans and budgets.
- Lead and contribute to developing and modeling a team culture characterized by a shared vision, commitment and mutual accountability that reflects FH’s Heartbeat
- Dissemination and guiding staff in use of Procurement, Purchasing, IT, Security and other work facilitation manuals/policies/SOPs
Key Result #4 – Representation (10%)
- Represent FH Kenya at the relevant county and national government authorities at program/cluster level, helping to ensure constructive working relationships are maintained to allow expansion, alignment and growth of FH’s transformation development programs within the cluster/program area
- Represent FH to other NGOs, and visitors ensuring coordination and attendance at relevant interagency technical, and security coordination networks as necessary at the cluster/program area level
- Act as the voice of influence (advocacy related to development initiatives) to the different relevant authorities, stakeholders on various issues that are of interest to FH at program/cluster area
QUALIFICATIONS & PERSON SPECIFICATION
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty/function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, attitude, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A relationship with Jesus Christ
- Should be a strong team player and have the ability to manage a team and resolve conflicts.
- Knowledge and experience in project management and coordination
- Flexibility to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Possess analytical and problem-solving skills, risk management skills as well as decision- making skills
- Commitment to accountability to beneficiaries and transparency, showing dignity and respect, and demonstrating listening and understanding skills.
- Excellent report writing, interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledgeable in computer packages e.g., MS-Word, Excel, etc.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with local communities and other stake holders
- Willingness to live and work in a stressful environment with security challenges.
- Highly organized, innovative and visionary leader
- Ability to reside within the cluster and travel to the field at least 25% of their time. Expectation is 25-50% of their time.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added advantage.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Holder of Bachelors (BA) and/or Master degree in project management or any other relevant field – ideally in Health, Nutrition, Livelihoods, and/or Education.
- Experience working in drought emergency, post emergency situations especially in ASAL areas
- Proven strategic planning and program and project management experience in a humanitarian/development environment
- Proven experience of working with USG / USAID /UN/DFID in Kenya and general donor relationships
- Experience in working closely with other development partners and stakeholders including but not limited to, sector working groups, county government, international and local NGOs
- Extensive knowledge of project design and implementation, and proven budget management experience coupled with experience in implementing and working in accordance with corporate structures, policies and practices.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of management experience in an international NGO,
- Experience in proposal writing and budget development for programs in the assigned expertise area (ability to pursue and win grant opportunities)
- Demonstrated experience with participatory approaches to development, including capacity building of local institutions
- Knowledge and experience working with other cultures and sensitive to the cross-cultural issues
LANGUAGE SKILLS Proficiency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications (clearly indicating their current or expected salary), updated CV with three referees, day telephone contacts to: Human Resource Manager Email address:
email@example.com latest by 18th January 2019
NB: Local candidates are encouraged to apply and this being an urgent position, shortlisting will be done as CVs are received.
NB: FOOD FOR THE HUNGRY (FH KENYA) DOES NOT SOLICIT ANY TYPE OF PAYMENT FOR JOB APPLICATIONS OR HIRING PROCESSES.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED