TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
USAID/Uganda is planning a new $10-25M program, the Feed the Future Uganda Inclusive Agricultural Markets Activity, which will seek to increase incomes and improve the livelihoods of Ugandan households through agricultural-led inclusive economic growth. With a focus on creating efficiencies in cross-market functions, the Activity will facilitate sustainable market improvements that influence systemic changes and create opportunities for more inclusive market actor engagement. The Activity will use a market systems approach to drive change through increasing institutional capacity and creating and aligning incentives at three key entry points: market actor organizations, the agro-industry and agribusinesses, and government institutions and agencies. Consequently, the Activity will strengthen key elements of the agricultural market that support new firm entry and firm growth in pursuit of consistent and inclusive provision of competitive goods and services demanded by actors. The Activity will also strengthen enabling environment systems and structures that enhance public sector investment in development and create opportunities for others to engage, particularly the private sector.
TechnoServe is looking for diverse Technical Experts with knowledge, skills, and experience at the nexus of inclusive agriculture and business in the following areas:
- Agricultural market systems. Preference for experience in market systems for commodities, staple crops, and nutritious foods (e.g. maize, beans, bananas, sorghum, millet, pulses, livestock, coffee, etc.)
- Supply and distribution of improved agricultural inputs
- Smallholder contract farming or outgrower schemes
- Strengthening organization of market actors, e.g. by strengthening producer organizations (POs), village agent associations, traders’ associations, women’s groups, youth groups, etc.
- Transformation and upgrading of commodities, including post-harvest handling, movement, conditioning and storage, and processing/ manufacturing
- Increasing quality of and smallholder/ PO access to services, including finance, market information, extension, and business development services
- Effective integration of women and youth into agricultural market systems
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, business, or related area. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 8 years of professional experience in agricultural market systems development or agribusiness. Preference for at least some experience working in the private sector.
- Experience implementing USAID projects preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges and opportunities facing women and youth in agricultural market systems.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Experience working in similar Sub-Saharan African contexts; experience working in Uganda strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent English skills.