Project Name: USAID Feed the Future (FtF) Project
Duty Station: Mbale (with frequent travel to other districts in the region; Bulambuli, Sironko, Bugiri, Jinja, Kapchorwa)
Reports to: Agribusiness Specialist
TechnoServe (TNS) is an international non-profit development organization founded in 1968. Its mission is to help entrepreneurial men and women break the cycle of poverty by building businesses that create jobs, income, and economic opportunities for their families, their communities, and their countries.
TechnoServe Inc /Uganda in partnership with the Uganda Cooperative Alliances is implementing a four and a half years Feed the Future (FtF) - Producer Organizations Activity (POA) in 12 districts of Uganda. The USAID funded Feed the Future Uganda Producer Organizations Activity seeks to strengthen the governance, management and service delivery capacity of Producer Organizations (POs) to realise durable and enduring institutions that are able to plan mobilize resources, and deliver services that meet the evolving needs of their members in a rapidly changing competitive environment. The Activity will harness the potential of Uganda’s secondary POs in 12 of the Feed the Future focus districts in Uganda to serve as critical change leaders in equipping member POs with the skills, knowledge, and linkages needed to mature and develop into sustainable businesses that meet the demands of their farmers.
Job Summary: The Business Development Services Coordinator (BDSC) ensures that beneficiary Producer Organizations (POs) in the coffee, maize and beans value chains are operated and managed profitably. The position will work closely with other team members of Feed the Future Producer Organizations Activity to enhance farmers’ benefit and leverage service delivery at each level of contact with both farmers and customers. The incumbent will build and maintain linkages between Producer Organizations and business development service providers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
● The incumbent will ensure sound operational and business strategy, business advisory services to the leadership and management of POs
● Carry out structured business diagnosis, identification problems/constraints and prioritization of strategies to achieve growth
● Ensure the timely execution of business plans and guide the leadership and management to conduct reviews to inform progress against strategic business targets; volumes, market demands, profitability, membership and share capital
● Provide support to Producer POs to come up with strategies that aim to increase their membership, equity, and establish a written value proposition to their membership
● Build working and mutually beneficial relationships between BDS providers and POs
● Support initiatives that aim to ensure effective collaboration with other Feed the Future and non-Feed the Future implementing partners in the designated region that synergize interventions along the three commodity value chains. Take part in regional commodity platforms and forums to contribute to sector enhancements
● Oversee the work of advocacy advisers to set and achieve activity targets among the beneficiary POs
● Build business and managerial capacity of board of directors/ executive committees and management of POs to grow their profitability, outreach to farmers and competitiveness etc.
● Responsible for operational aspects of the activity in the region including but not limited to supervising the driver, ensure sound project asset management, vehicle movement plans and other necessary approvals
● Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
● The applicant should hold relevant degree qualifications in any of the following areas: Agriculture, Business Management, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, Commerce, or any related studies
● At least five years of business consulting, financing and /or business advisory in agriculture, agribusiness and demonstrated technical experience in any agricultural value chain
● Excellent track record of building strong client, donor and stakeholder relationships with strong team working skills
● Financial and Resource Management skills
● Innovative mindset that knows how to ask questions and seek out information from multiple sources, learn from mistakes, and see change as an opportunity
● Analysis, Research and Report Writing skills
● Positive, holistic attitude towards work, ability to solve problems and generate innovative solutions in work situations
● Excellent oral and report written skills
● High levels of integrity
How to apply
If you are interested and you meet the requirements Please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references with the position title placed in the subject line of your email and on the application letter. All applications must be received by close of business Monday January 14, 2019. Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
TechnoServe Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer