TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
USAID/Uganda is planning a new $10-25M program, the Feed the Future Uganda Inclusive Agricultural Markets Activity, which will seek to increase incomes and improve the livelihoods of Ugandan households through agricultural-led inclusive economic growth. With a focus on creating efficiencies in cross-market functions, the Activity will facilitate sustainable market improvements that influence systemic changes and create opportunities for more inclusive market actor engagement. The Activity will use a market systems approach to drive change through increasing institutional capacity and creating and aligning incentives at three key entry points: market actor organizations, the agro-industry and agribusinesses, and government institutions and agencies. Consequently, the Activity will strengthen key elements of the agricultural market that support new firm entry and firm growth in pursuit of consistent and inclusive provision of competitive goods and services demanded by actors. The Activity will also strengthen enabling environment systems and structures that enhance public sector investment in development and create opportunities for others to engage, particularly the private sector.
The Agro-Processing Specialist will drive the design, implementation, and client relationship management of agro-processor-level interventions which will increase transformation and upgrading of agricultural commodities in Uganda.
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Economics, Business or related area, or equivalent experience in food market systems. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 5-7 years’ professional experience in food market systems, including experience working in the private sector. Deep private sector experience, including in a manufacturing setting, preferred.
- Deep understanding of the food processing sector, with knowledge of relevant topics, such as: food production and processing, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP), worker safety, finance for growing businesses, and food systems value chain development.
- Proven track record in providing technical and/or business solutions to food processors, with experience implementing or advising on smallholder sourcing models.
- Demonstrated understanding of gender and youth issues in agriculture or market systems.
- Strong project management and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Professional experience working in Sub-Saharan African contexts; experience working in Uganda strongly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills and good computer skills in business software (Excel, MS Project, and PowerPoint).
- Excellent English skills.