Background Information - Job-specific
The objective of this position is to provide administrative assistance to the project team, which is responsible to deliver the procurement of X-ray machines and refurbishment of radiology rooms in selected district hospitals in Uganda on behalf of the Ministry of Health.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant may take routine decisions on administrative processes based on clearly established guidelines. In performing his/her work, the Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Summary of Key Functions: Support to effective and efficient functioning of the office/department/unit
Support to administrative and logistical services
Support with respect to protocol issues and requests for official documentation
Support to office maintenance and assets management
Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Office Support/ Reception Functions:
- Routing of telephone calls and communication of messages within the office for appropriate action.
- Receipt of all visitors and incoming phone calls and directing them relevant unit/ individuals.
- Booking, setting up, and co-ordination of meetings
- Collection, distribution and dispatch of daily incoming and outgoing normal / courier mail and documents.
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Maintenance of hard copy and electronic files, reference materials and confidential records as required
- Support in the preparation of the administrative budget plan for the office
- Support the monitoring of expenditures against the administrative budget for the office, bringing to the attention of the supervisor any problem or discrepancy that warrants further review.
- Support to the Petty cash management
- Preparation of travel authorization for staff members
- Office maintenance and assets management
- Maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services Administrative and logistical Functions:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNOPS shipments (received/sent), Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions
- Performance of a Buyer role in oneUNOPS and preparation of POs for travel activities, payments, contracts.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats. Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
Archiving (physically and electronically) and ensuring the internal Data Base for project information is updated
Extraction of data from various sources.
Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to Project Manager
Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
Secondary education is required.
A Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Logistic, or any other related field is an advantage.
At least three years of relevant working experience in programme OR administrative support is required.
Experience in logistics is an asset.
Full working knowledge of English is essential. Working knowledge of Luganda is an added advantage. CompetenciesEdit Delete
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration:
Local Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: LICA 3
Contract duration: 7 months renewable subject to performance and the availability of funds
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
UNOPS East Africa Hub
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the East Africa Hub manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The East Africa sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in South Sudan and a portfolio of engagements managed by the Kenya based East Africa Hub office. This includes primarily transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies UN-Habitat and UNEP, and multiple ‘operational’ projects in Somalia, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and several island states.