Location: Kampala, Uganda
Status: 12 months fixed term contract under Ugandan law (Renewable)
Deadline to apply: 10th June 2019
Starting date: 1st August 2019 at the latest
Full time position
Avocats Sans Frontières (ASF) is a development aid nongovernmental organization whose work focuses on giving access to justice and protecting the fundamental rights of the most marginalised people: women and children, people who are being illegally detained, human rights’ advocates (lawyers, journalists, etc.), and victims of international crimes.
Our teams work in Africa and Asia, mainly in fragile and/or post-conflict countries. The activities carried out in these countries entail mainly awareness-raising about people's rights, support of legal aid services, capacity building, strategic litigation, advocacy, and the implementation of a network of key stakeholders in the justice system.
The ASF country office in Uganda opened in 2008 and since 2019 hosts the team in charge of the projects/programs in Uganda as well as Burundi.
Position of the function and responsibilities
The AFL officer will be in charge of the administrative and financial management of the program that the organisation is implementing in Burundi through local partners.
The position is based in Kampala under the supervision of the Burundi Program coordinator.
There is no travel foreseen to Burundi.
The position’s main responsibilities and tasks are:
Capacity reinforcement: ensure that the ASF team and program implementation partners are familiar with the donor’s & ASF’s financial and administrative procedures and policies and apply them.
- Control the financial reports and the supporting documents submitted on a quarterly basis by the local partners in Burundi and transfer them into ASF accounting system
- Book local expenses of the team Burundi in ASF’s accounting system and archive supporting documents
- In charge of the annual closing of the accounting for the Burundi program in compliance with ASF closing rules
- Control the treasury requests of the partners in Burundi and validate transfers
- Prepare the monthly treasury request of the Burundi team
- Manage cash box operations
- Manage bank account operations
Budget and finance management
- Analyze the budget follow-up of the program and provide regular reporting to the program coordinator
- Develop cost analysis tools to ensure a dynamic management of the budgets
- Manage multi-currency and multi-donor budgets
- Prepare financial amendments to the budget (internal and external)
- Prepare financial reports (internal and external)
Administrative and Management:
- Prepare the monthly payroll and payslips
- Prepare and pay the required declarations in compliance with Ugandan labor law
- Archive individual files of staff
- Monitor and prepare renewal of permits and work titles
- Organize seminaries in Uganda for Burundian partners
- Ensure and organize all the data transfers from Burundian partners to ASF
- Languages: Fluent English and French are required
- Degree: BA in Economics, Accountancy/ Financing, Management
- Be in order of residence and work permit in Uganda
- Experience: Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in financial management, including at least 3 years in a similar role, preferably with an NGO
- Knowledge and skills: Financial / Accountancy Management is key
- Experience in logistics and administration is an asset
- Experience in working with remote partners
- Knowledge of the Burundian context is an asset
- IT: High level of computer literacy (knowledge of well-known NGO accounting software, Excel advanced, Word)
- Excellent inter-personal skills and multi-tasking capacity
- Desire to take on new challenges
- Driver’s license and ability to drive vehicles with manual gearbox
- Motivation to integrate a multi-cultural and international organization
How to apply?
Interested applicants should apply by email at email@example.com with the reference “AFL officer Burundi” in the subject heading.
The application must contain:
- A Curriculum Vitae in French containing three reachable references
- A cover letter written in both languages (the first part in English ad the second in French) containing motivations and salary expectations
- Copies of academic transcripts
The deadline to apply is 10th of June 2019 – 5.00 pm Kampala time
ASF is a gender-sensitive organization: Women are strongly encouraged to apply. ASF will only contact short-listed candidates.